IDs on Sentinal Dome Webcam?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

IDs on Sentinal Dome Webcam?

Post by BSquared »

Does anyone know if there's a guide to the distant mountains that can be seen in the Sentinal Dome Webcam? A little map work suggests that the obvious peaky thing well to the left of Cloud's Rest is probably Cathedral Peak (with something else, perhaps Echo Peaks?), the massif that's rising to the right of HD (should I call it "Dumb Dome now? ;) ) and mostly hidden by it is probably Vogelsang/Fletcher, and the larger massif to its right is the Clark Range (although I don't see the distinctive outline of Mt. Clark there). Sound good? But I'll be that somewhere there's a "key," with labels on the major peaks. Isn't there? If not, maybe somebody with more skill with map and compass (and more time) than I have should make one!
—B²
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: IDs on Sentinal Dome Webcam?

Post by oldranger »

Bill, I'd guess that the Clark range is out of the pic to the right.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

so, B2, you want something like this?
Tioga Description.jpg
Probably want to ask those that own the camera for Sentinel to do something similar. And that would be http://yosemiteconservancy.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

probably a great pic to start with.. just annotate as appropriate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

so, B2, you want something like this?
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I did send a note to the Yosemite Conservancy. Like most non-profits, they're presumably chronically undermanned and underfinanced, but we'll see what they say. Russ, do you agree with Mike that the large massif to the right of Half Dome isn't the Clarks? And if not, it sort of has to be Vogelsang/Fletcher, doesn't it?

Oh, I also sent a note to a couple of guys I "met" [iMet?] at WPSMB who have done similar things with panoramas from other places in the Sierra. I think one of them has a computer program that more-or-less automatically calculates azimuths of major sites from any point and takes into account features in between that hide the more distant points. Sounds like a fairly common GIS kind of problem, but I'm hardly a GIS expert, so I don't really know.
Last edited by BSquared on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so, if i know what the points are you want identified, we can do that here..

Powerpoint.. sweet..
Presentation1.jpg
let me know how you want to proceed.. yes, i can resize it bigger.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

OK, here's a start. I played around with one of the large-scale USGS maps ("Mariposa?") on MacGPS Pro, but I'm still quite uncertain about most of my IDs (hence the question marks).
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nicely done! I think you are mostly right. Guess the sugar maple research is slow as sap runs right now? :)