Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

Post by quentinc »

The world is always a better place once the Horseshoe Meadow Road opens, and it did that last Tuesday. I had no idea what to expect snow-wise and half-expected to end up going over Trail Pass down into the low meadows. However, mosquitoes in the parking lot made me reconsider -- if they were starting at 10,000, they'd probably be hell at 9,000.

Anyway, Cottonwood Pass was a little bit dicey only because I insisted on my usual route -- straight up the middle. The very top was pretty steep and snow-covered, and perhaps I should have dropped down before traversing. But I got to use my Microspikes for the first time, and they did help. Over the pass, I was surprised by how many PCT thru-hikers had already gone through (last weekend I saw scads of them not far from Mt. Baldy -- at least 3 weeks away). First up was Frozen Chicken (Spring) Lake:

The snow was nice to walk on in the morning and post-hole hell in late afternoon.

When I got towards the Rock Creek trail turn-off from the PCT, I'd completely lost whatever trail of footprints there was, and ended up wandering and falling into soft snow everywhere. It was always worse where there were trees than where there was a clearing. I guess the melting in the sun and then re-freezing at night toughens the surface?

Anyway, I got back on track, but darkness stopped my path to Miter Basin (I've been making it up there on the first day lately). The morning revived me, and I quickly found the half-buried sign to Cold Soldier Lake:

Miter Basin was a winter wonderland. Except for a few rocky outcroppings, it was completely covered:

Sky Blue Ice Lake:

By afternoon I was tuckered out and ominous clouds threatened. But I managed to get myself up to Iridescent Lake (no pun for that one). This is the view from near the lake:

The next day, I thought I'd check out Langley. This was sure helpful:

And this sight wasn't very encouraging, especially since I had to hike out the same day back over Cottonwood:

But it takes an awful lot to keep me off the top of Langley. Looking towards the Kaweahs:

I knew I would pay for this, and pay I did. By late afternoon I was post-holing like crazy and at one point crashed through to a stream (which I was sure I was at least 10 feet away from -- go figure). But I made it out, and there were some sights along the way even lovelier than the blood oozing from my knees (yeah, what kind of idiot wears shorts while hiking in soft snow?). Like Siberia, or its outpost:

I got back to my car at 9:30 and I'm already itching to go back up there.
Last edited by quentinc on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

Post by maverick »

Love all that snow Q, real nice photo's, especially liked the last two!
Thanks for posting it so quickly.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

First backpacking trip to the high country, beautiful Miter Basin, and only one
comment, interesting/dumbfounding or lame.
Some folks take the time to post relevant information, especially in this snowy year
that is helpful to us at HST, and no one has anything to say, just look. :confused:
A little appreciation or thanks sure goes a long way, otherwise some folks will just
not bother to post TR's as much or at all in the future.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Exactly the kind of info I was hoping/looking for!!! Thanks a lot Q and loved the pics! \:D/
Semper Fi!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I see pictures like this and wish I were a winter sort of hiker. But I'm just not, so keep posting the pics. :nod:

I might have some pics next week - but we'll see how it goes.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

What a great trip report! Thank you- awesome accomplishment in these conditions. That area sure looks different than it normally does! Great photos.
First backpacking trip to the high country, beautiful Miter Basin, and only one
comment, interesting/dumbfounding or lame.
Some folks take the time to post relevant information, especially in this snowy year
that is helpful to us at HST, and no one has anything to say, just look. :confused:
A little appreciation or thanks sure goes a long way, otherwise some folks will just
not bother to post TR's as much or at all in the future.
I agree- it is a lot of work to post a TR, we need to encourage people to keep making the effort by acknowledging the trip reports. or HST might become a site for the few, instead of expanding its base.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I have nothing to say but WOW!! That is freaking awsome.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Thanks Quentinc. I'll be heading to that area in early August. It's awesome covered in snow.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks everyone. It was an interesting experience because I've never done a trip before that was mostly on snow. One nice thing I learned is that even when there is almost 100% snow cover, there are often snow-free wells around the base of trees that you can pitch a tent in.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Nice TR...nicer trip!
Been up there in the Basin twice now and somehow, everything looks so much different when all draped in white.
Envious and impressed with everything offered here.
Thanks...
Mountainman who swims with trout