Why No Trip Reports or Back Country Condition Updates

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Why No Trip Reports or Back Country Condition Updates

Post by yosehiker »

DoyleWDonehoo: Got a report from a friend (Sat Phone -> Girlfriend -> Boyfriend -> Me) about a restoration crew that was on Kibbie Ridge earlier this week that was heading to the Boundary Lakes Area and turned around due to the snow. There was between 6 in and 6 feet but snow was pretty rotten so they were post holing a lot and that is why they turned around. Precise snow line is unclear, though the elevation 7200 ft was mentioned, but that could indicate any number of things. The crew is a hardy group so I was surprised they turned around but it may also be because it was a work trip. I know the report is a bit disjointed but I heard it mostly in passing. Hope this helps.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

My first hiking trip in the Sierra this year.
Saturday, 11 June 2011 Onion Valley to Kearsarge Pass (that's as far as I went)

View from Onion Valley (campground still closed on 6/11/2011)

Little Pothole Lake

Gilbert Lake

All snow after Gilbert Lake, trail buried, but good boot tracks

Heart Lake

First view of Kearsarge Pass

View west from Kearsarge Pass

Big Pothole Lake

MORE PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Sierra-Nev ... 64_cDxS34v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Horseshoe Mdw is clear of snow, road just opened last week. Snow on north slope of Trail Peak, Patchy snow above Trail Pass and Mulky Pass, and the peaks east of there (did Edge of the World Peak). Cottonwood Pass had snow but make sure you find the 2nd creek crossing. It was covered with snow and we missed it and hiked straight up and ended up on the south side of the pass. We were not familiar with the trail and missed it. Just got home, so working on pix, will post later.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Snowy, looks like it was a fun trip, very nice pictures.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

bill-e-g wrote:I rarely look here. And with very low views ...

I post stuff on yosemitenews.info.
(and as chick-on alter-ego)
If more views it's only 'a few' more views.....but def more quality views here when it comes to backpacking content. That other site is more location specific, but much broader in scope.

Current HST #s:
42k+ posts since 2005
Averaging 450 uniques, 1,200 visits and 45k page views per day
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Snowy, a beautiful TR. I almost missed it as it's buried in this thread. Might want to break it out into it's own.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

bill-e-g wrote: It's all good and most of my trips include a large amount of cross country.
There's a few from SEKI in there. It's a passion... what can I say. Been doing it a long time.
Hence my envy, as I initially commented. :nod: You have a real knack for thinking outside the box on your trips route choices and when to do them, which is why I would like to see you apply your particular approach to the south of Yosemite (then share it with others). Cross-country mountaineering is a passion of mine as well, and I like to see different approaches to interesting destinations.

yosehiker: Thanks for the info! I will ask pointed questions of the Rangers at Groveland RS Saturday. Fellow backpackers take note: Groveland RS is closed on Sundays. It may be the same for others.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Interesting trip report snow nymph- thanks for taking the time to post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Snowy, I also missed your report the first time around. Thanks so much for posting -- Kearsarge is always my next target after doing the Miter Basin area. Did you need crampons to get up to the pass?

As for Cottonwood Pass, I also went straight up the middle, to the south of the pass, since that's what I do even when that incredibly meandering trail is visible (one of the things I like about that pass is you can basically do the entire hike without ever stepping on the main trail). But it would have been better to have traversed north before it got really steep.