Beating the Snow Trip Suggestion

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Beating the Snow Trip Suggestion

Post by Stevendanger75 »

I apologize for having two Trip Suggestion threads up at the same time, but I need to plan a Trip from June 30th to July 5th in the Sierra. I will be leading a moderately experienced group into the Sierra, however we do not want to have to deal with copious quantities of snow, if even possible during the specified dates. I was considering the Golden Trout Wilderness as a possible area, but I am open to all suggestions.

Group Exp:
Level 3

Terrain:
Up to class 3
Streams
Moderate Snow

Main interests:
Fishing
Lakes
Trails free of snow

Nights:
4-6

Miles:
Up to 10 day, at least 2 layover days

Both Loop and Out and Back are fine

No Particular area and no dogs

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Stevendanger75 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Beating the Snow Trip Suggestion

Post by AlmostThere »

Firstly, you want to go to the Sierra. (No S necessary.)

Secondly, anything above 7,500 feet or so, there will be snow, increasing in depth the higher you go. So the distances you want to do probably aren't really feasible for anywhere central Sierra. Our dayhikes are starting to be turned around by high water, too, so wherever you are downslope from snow, you get to contend with melting snow.

Not sure what to tell you - some of the lower elevation options I would consider for my own trips are now too hot for pleasurable hiking. Henry Coe would accommodate the duration and miles you want, but it's also heating up fast and water sources tend to dry up when that happens.

Most of Golden Trout - except for the northerly part where it starts to climb - sounds like a good bet.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

The only fully dry route where you can do multi-days deep into the Sierra is the South Sierra. Either:
1) From Lloyd Meadows TH, over the Little Kern River bridge and thence follow the trails into the canyon and headwaters of the Little Kern River. There may still may be some wet stream crossings.
2) From Lloyd Meadows TH, over the Little Kern River bridge and thence to Trout Meadows RS camps (fishing nearby), then to the Kern River Canyon (fishing) and on to Kern Lakes (fishing) and on into SEKI at the Kern River RS. You can keep going up the canyon, but Rattlesnake Creek will be tricky but not impossible to cross (head up-stream for a log). A good hike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Thank you both for the information, I really appreciate it. I also fixed my mistake.

Doyle:

I researched and viewed your suggested route (number 2) on a topographic map and I really like it. I still need to calculate how many miles it will be as well as if it will be a loop or out-and-back trip. The only loop I was thinking of would be to head west from Kern River Ranger Station and then continue south towards Coyote Lakes. However, I feel that the elevation would allow this area to retain much of it's snow during early July, though I don't know for certain. Could you provide some insight on this?

Thank you
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Read my suggestion under "Trip advice July 3-10" I'm pretty sure it would your best option.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Stevendanger75 wrote:I researched and viewed your suggested route (number 2) on a topographic map and I really like it. I still need to calculate how many miles it will be as well as if it will be a loop or out-and-back trip. The only loop I was thinking of would be to head west from Kern River Ranger Station and then continue south towards Coyote Lakes. However, I feel that the elevation would allow this area to retain much of it's snow during early July, though I don't know for certain. Could you provide some insight on this?
As for the miles, I don't know exactly offhand. I will say that there is established camping at the Little Kern River Bridge, but you can easily make it to Trout Meadows in a single day. There is excellent camping at Trout meadows, a picnic table and a spring/spigot with good water. Make sure you have a map and compass going from Garlic Meadow to the bridge, as there are a number of trails: Rule of thumb, take the right fork OBVIOUS main trails on the way down to the bridge. If you get down to the Little Kern and there is no bridge, you took the wrong trail.
From Trout M. to the Kern River, the route is obvious: Make some noise near meadows, lots of bears in the area. It only takes a couple of hours to get to the Kern from Trout M. Easy walking, and several excellent (packer) camps along the way, as well as pipe water at one (of the many) meadow(s).
Once along the Kern river, the camping opportunities are legion.
If you want to avoid snow, going towards Coyote Lakes is not an option. (There IS a X-C sheep route to Coyote Lakes in the area of Kern Lakes: not recommended.
I would say conditions are nearly two months behind normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Doyle:

Thank you once again for the information. I assume this is going to be an out-and-back trip and I will skip out on Coyote Lakes. How is the fishing at the Kern Lakes?

BTW: I really like your website and find it very helpful. I have your "Deadman Canyon Loop" page favorited and have been using it for the past few months to plan an early August trip through Deadman Canyon. The information that you provide has been instrumental in the developement and details of this trip.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Glad you like Sierra Trails! As to your question, I don't fish, but I do mooch. Fishermen seem to like the fishing at Kern Lakes (among the few people I have seen in the area).
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Ok here is what I came up with as information for my friends. Please notify me of any corrections I should make:

Number of Nights: 6

Total Miles: 50.68

Description: Start at Lloyd Meadows Trailhead in the Southern Sierra (Golden Trout Wilderness area), drop down into Kern River Canyon and continue up to Kern Flat. We will then climb out of the canyon and continue through Trout Meadows and up to the Kern Lakes and the Kern River Ranger Station. This is where we will spend a layover day fishing and exploring the area that extends 10 miles up past the Ranger Station. We will then backtrack the entire route back to the car.

Day Breakdown

1. Drive to Trail Head, hike 2.4 (Kern Canyon) or preferably 8.04 (Kern Flat) miles to first camp site. Spend Night there.
2. Hike 6.04 miles from Kern Flat to Trout Meadows Ranger Station. Spend Night there.
3. Hike 8.58 miles to Little Kern Lake. Spend Night there.
4. Layover day. Spend day at Kern River Ranger Station (2.84 Miles North) or at Kern lake fishing and exploring the Meadow and surrounding wilderness. Spend Night at Little Kern Lake.
5. Spend Extra day around the Kern Lakes and Ranger Station. Hike back towards Funston Meadow in search of remote fishing if desired. OR hike 8.58 miles back to Trout Meadows. Spend night at either one.
6. Hike to Kern Flat (14.22 from Little Kern Lake) or to the Start of Kern Canyon (11.68 Miles from Trout Meadows). Spend night at either one.
7. Hike back to car 5.64 or 2.4 Miles. Drive home and spend night in bed.
Last edited by Stevendanger75 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

I am in the process of planning an alternate route in case we are unable to cross at Forks of the Kern. I Am thinking we park at Jerky Meadow TH and going straight to Trout Meadows. There is a Little Kern crossing on a 'stockbridge' according to my Topo. Does anyone have any insight on this trail/area/crossing?

Thanks