Tuolumne Meadows Trip Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne Meadows Trip Question

Post by Stevendanger75 »

I am planning a trip to Virgina Lake near Tuolumne Meadows starting June 30th. Does anyone have an idea of how much (if any) snow I will be encountering?

Thank you
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Trip Question

Post by rlown »

which Virginia Lk..
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

37.96201,-119.42772

this one?
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

The one on the edge of Virgina Canyon, there is no trail leading to it. To the northwest of Tenya Lake. 37 57' 37" N 119 25' 32" W Elevation 9200.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok then.. you'll have lots of snow. not so much down to the Glen, as that should be well flooded, but after you head up cold canyon, and then ascend, It'll be full on snow fest in the trees to get there. Off trail, you'll be post-holing and wishing you weren't there. If you are after fish, there aren't any. netted years ago. If you're after the views to the west, they are very nice, but it'll still have 4' of snow around it and in the trees heading down there.

Still assuming we're talking about the same lake.
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Dammit. Well thank you for the detailed reply. I knew that there wouldnt be any fish, I was mostly in it for the solitude and the views. Looks like Ill have to find another place to go.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If you're into it for the views, do it in the early fall, late sept. you can also cut back over the ridge on the way out down from V to upper mattie and down to lower Mattie and catch wildcat point. truly amazing.. you can, with some finesse, work your way down from there to the trail back up to the glen.