Bear Divide to Mt Hooper 6/11-13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Bear Divide to Mt Hooper 6/11-13

Post by John Dittli »

Ok, ok here ya go.

Left Rock Creek Pack station Saturday. Patchy snow to trailhead, patchy dirt to Marsh Lake, never took the skis off until I was back at Marsh Lake on Monday.
North Col (Bear Cr Spire), Bear Pass, North Gables Pass, Hooper Col, Selden Pass, Sanger Pass, Gemini/Gables Pass, upper Merriam, Bear Paw, Bear, North Col

Snow was generally quite good with coverage typical of late April early May. Snow conditions were also typical of spring with good supportable corn on south and west aspects and a corn surface that turns to unconsolidated mush after 9:00 on the N and E. This situation was exaggerated at higher elevations.

Natural slides and cornice collapse on N and E aspects were wide spread with the warming on Sunday.

Snow level looked to be aound 9,200 to 9,500'

JD
_MG_7573.jpg
_MG_7575.jpg
Untitled_Panorama-1.jpg
_MG_7596.jpg
Untitled_Panorama-2.jpg
_MG_7639.jpg
_MG_7646.jpg
Untitled_Panorama-4.jpg
_MG_7749.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Bear Divide to Mt Hooper 6/11-13

Post by SSSdave »

Impressive John, some of the best crest areas the Sierra has to offer. A lot of serious vertical involved so you have got to be in great shape. The kind of adventure I tried to get into one or two decades ago as I really like putting SSS tracks on clean slopes. But really my life was and has been too busy so most of my gear has gathered dust.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

John Dittli wrote:...never took the skis off until I was back at Marsh Lake on Monday
How do you get your skis into the sleeping bag?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

tim wrote:
John Dittli wrote:...never took the skis off until I was back at Marsh Lake on Monday
How do you get your skis into the sleeping bag?
Verrry carefully!
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Great trip, great photo's JD!
Really like the sky in the Upper Lou Beverly shot, and the last photo of the frozen lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org