Suggestions for upcoming trip, 6/30-7/3, 4 days/3 nights

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Talimon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for upcoming trip, 6/30-7/3, 4 days/3 nights

Post by Talimon »

I am attempting to "convert" my girlfriend to backpacking. We've done 4 or 5 car camping trips with lots of hiking already, so I think she will enjoy it. Very important to know: she HATES mosquitoes (a trip to Lassen was almost ruined by them).

I'd say that physically she is at a level 2. I have done 3-4 backpacking trips over the last year, but nothing longer than 3 days/2 nights. On one trip in the Hoover wilderness (which I loved) I unintentionally had to do a bit of x-country with GPS which included fording a river, but otherwise I have stuck to trails.

Our main trip is 6/30 to 7/3 (arriving near trailhead evening of 6/29). I know this isn't a typical year, but I hear that generally this is peak mosquito season. I also know snow will still be a problem in many areas. We can handle a bit of soft snow on the trail, but certainly not near camp. In terms of milage, either 4 days of hiking with 5-8 miles a day, or 3 days of hiking plus a layover day with 7-10 miles / day. I had been looking at a bunch of Yosemite trips in ~8000-9000 range, but reading the forums I fear snow will still be abundant. No preference in terms of loop/out and back, but certainly can't do a shuttle trip (unless it involves a Yosemite shuttle). My top preference was something with solitude, but given the kind of year it is I'll take what I can get.

On a related note, I thought it would be a good idea to sneak in an "intro to backpacking" (2 day/1 night) trip this upcoming weekend, just to get us excited about the longer trip. We would drive up Friday evening. Any suggestions that aren't snowed out? Hetch Hetchy, maybe?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Suggestions for upcoming trip, 6/30-7/3, 4 days/3 nights

Post by gary c. »

If your girlfriend feels that strongly about mosquitos I wouldn't try to introduce her to backpacking in the high Sierra. I think I would take her someplace like the the Forks of the Kern or the Little Kern area. The mosquito reports have not been bad at all yet but with this warm weather I think that is going to change very soon. The upper Kern area still has mosquitos but not nearly as bad.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The best way to avoid mosquitoes in early July is to go to the coast. Have you considered Channel Islands NP?
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

Thanks for the quick replies! My thinking was that because there is more/later snow this year, perhaps skeeter season would be delayed? Channel Isalnds is a really interesting idea I hadn't considered.... but I want to see mountains! I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes glued to the skeeter report thread and see how things develop. It sounds like the whole world will be at Rancheria falls this upcoming weekend?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Talimon

Welcome to HST!

Talimon wrote "but I want to see mountains!".

Maybe you should think about you girlfriend too, and go some where she wants to go
instead of where you want to go, it will make her appreciate you, and backpacking, which
is what you would like to achieve in the long run, is it not?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

Maybe you should think about you girlfriend too, and go some where she wants to go
instead of where you want to go, it will make her appreciate you, and backpacking, which
is what you would like to achieve in the long run, is it not?
Well spoken. I just know she'll love the high country, but I suppose patience has its rewards. Maybe we can come back in September after skeeter season.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I would take her to Point Reyes. No altitude issues, awesome scenery and no snow whatsoever. Short miles between trail camps and no bears. Only bummer would be the rain, and you could beat feet for the hostel and hope for a shower and a bed in that case. Worth a call to see if there's space.