Sierra High Route in early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
eliburakian
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra High Route in early July

Post by eliburakian »

Last year doing the SHR, we got resupplied at Bishop Pass. Just paid a horse packer to meet me at the pass. If I were to do it again, I'd resupply at Piute Pass near Mt. Humphreys. Do to slower than expected mileage, we had to ski from Piute Pass to Red's Meadow.

I'll be out there making up that missed section during the first week in July. Although I really liked hiking north (sun at back and Roper's route book describes it in this section) I'm probably going to go N to S this year so I can climb up the hard snow on the northern sides of the passes and go down in the softer snow on the south side. Just FYI.

Maybe I'll see you out there! Good luck, it's great fun!

Eli
The journey is the destination.
http://www.burakianphotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lailka
Topix Novice

Post by Lailka »

Horse packing looks quite expensive, isnt it ?
eliburakian, are you going to hike this section or will you carry skis ?
Marche ou crève
eliburakian
Topix Novice

Post by eliburakian »

Lailka,

We'll be hiking this section. I'll be with someone who's not a great skier and doesn't have backcountry equipment. Plus, when skis aren't appropriate, they're a big pain in the but. Suncups can also make skiing pretty unpleasant, and I don't want to be bringing my heavy plastic tele boots.

So hiking it is, but we will have snowshoes, crampons and ice axes.

Horse packing is pretty expensive. Last year I was with two other people, so we were able to split the costs. I can't remember specifically, but I think it worked out to about 100 bucks a person. We felt it was better than spending the time/energy to leave the SHR.

Good luck with everything and hope we see you out there!

Eli
The journey is the destination.
http://www.burakianphotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lailka
Topix Novice

Post by Lailka »

good luck to you too !
I hope to see there too :)
Marche ou crève