Worthwhile Side Trips NoBo JMT after MTR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Worthwhile Side Trips NoBo JMT after MTR

Post by JWreno »

I have a 25 day permit from Cottonwood pass to Happy Isles starting mid August.
Our first resupply will be 11 days in at MTR so I will mostly stick to the JMT after
Whitney since I don't want to carry more food. After Muir Trail Ranch we will resupply
again at Red's Meadows. I am looking for some 1-2 day diversions from the JMT going
north from MTR to help use up the last 14 days of our vacation. I am thinking a side
trip to Iva Bell Hot Springs and a 1/2 side trip over to Clouds Rest. May even consider
an out and back to the fall around the Glen Aulin area. Any other good ideas for
side trips or layover days. VVR doesn't sound appealing since it is more of a civilization
stopover.
Jeff
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Worthwhile Side Trips NoBo JMT after MTR

Post by copeg »

Some possibilities that immediately come to mind include exploring the Silver Divide (for example Peter Pande Lake) and Bear Lakes Basin area (for example Vee Lake).
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Have you considered heading up to Seven Gables Lakes, Vee Lake, and the Bear Lakes Basin? You could probably make a "U" of it by taking White Bear Pass to meet the Italy Pass trail back down to the JMT. I have only been up and back the Seven Gables Trail, but I'm sure others here have taken that route.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Second Copeg's Peter Panda recommendations, and add Orchid Lake to the mix, with it's
outstanding views east towards Seven Gables, and Feather Peak, and sitting on the
bench just several hundred feet above the JMT, but might as well be 20 miles away since
there is no trail to it.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v9/p29677502-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Seven Gables Lakes and the Bear Lakes basin are wonderful, but even if you don't want to take that long a detour, you should consider the Medley (and the other music-themed) Lakes area south (I think) of the lovely Marie Lake (which deserves a very short detour from the JMT for a stroll along some of its endless shoreline.

Depending on your comfort with off-trail and Class 2 passes, you could go by Medley Lakes and over Seven Gables Pass, but that could involve some snow difficulties on the Gable Lakes side of the pass this year. Alternatively, there's a trail that leads directly up to Seven Gables Lakes.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We did the Thousand Isle to Blue Lakes Pass SHR section in 2005
Slow going but beautiful. I don't mind a little route finding.

We like to do a lower mileage pace every 4-5 days so we can
do bear can wash to reduce the stink in the clothes. It's nice
to do it a bit off trail at a place that worth exploring a bit with
the pack off.
Jeff