Nearly 100 years ago this winter

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Nearly 100 years ago this winter

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

The link provided below gives a summary of the doings that occurred 100 years ago this March at a small Eastern Sierra town located in the Mono Basin. The town of Jordan was situated at the base of Copper Mountain generally at the mouth of Lundy Canyon. Jordan was a company town constructed by the Pacific Power Company. The Pacific Power Company constructed a hydroelectric plant at Jordan to provide power to the bustling town of Bodie. During the winter of 1910/1911 a series of winter storms blanketed the region with record snow fall. The town of Jordan was situated at the base of Copper Mountain. The night of March 6 a large avalanche swept through the town, demolishing everything in its path taking nine lives.

The link is from the 2007 December issue of Explore Historic California, and provides a fairly detailed account of this winter tragedy. Enjoy the read and don’t build a house next to an avalanche shoot!

http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/december07.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Nearly 100 years ago this winter

Post by mokelumnekid »

Fascinating- thanks for posting this.
87TT
Topix Regular

Re: Nearly 100 years ago this winter

Post by 87TT »

I've visited that little cemetary many times. It is still well taken care of and I try to tidy it up when I stop by. I knew it was an avalanche but thanks for the rest of the story.