Zion NP Day Hikes

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Zion NP Day Hikes

Post by Allyn »

Living in Las Vegas gives me an opportunity to explore many of the southwest NP's without traveling too far. The bad thing about LV is that it truly is a desert island as it takers a while to get anywhere decent. Zion on the other hand is about 2-1/2 hours away and as I spent most of my life in Yosemite, it reminds me a lot of the valley but sandstone instead of granite (and okay no real big waterfalls!). The crowds are also much less in size! Went there this past weekend in preparation for the JMT and did a few day hikes. Angels Landing was one and up through the Emerald Pools Sunday. If you have never been to Zion, Angels Landing is by far a great place to go. Now I can't handle the heights, so the last stretch is not for me, but the hike to Scouts Lookout is exceptional. You climb about 1,500 feet in 2 miles and go through some awesome switchbacks, one of which is Walter's Wiggle, which is about 21 switchback carved in sandstone with rock work that is incredible.

I will try and post a few pictures, but this is my first time so bear with me!

Sorry if they did not comer out or are too large!

Allyn
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Cool shots Allyn. Thanks for sharing them! Been wanting to visit Zion for some time now.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I like the last one! I was there in '98 and started/ended a loop trip at Angel's Landing. Thanks!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Allyn »

I have really liked Zion as part of the southwest parks. Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Capital Reef, Grand Canyon are spectacular spots, as well as Red Rock Conservation area (15 monutes from the house!). While my heart will always be in the Sierras and Yosemite (grew up there all my life), these places are great to explore. I guess living in Vegas has some advantages.

The last shot was taken to get me somewhat over my fear of heights for the Whitney Summit and Forrester Pass this summer. My brother will likely need to guide me on some of these spots with my eyes closed! :retard:

Here is a link to the aerial shot of Walters Wiggle in Zion that is the middle picture:

http://tinyurl.com/mzcgz