Cross Country Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by markskor »

RoguePhotonic wrote:You should see the text document I have for this hike. I have every detail planned of exactly how many supplies I need where and when.
Having also done my share of "extended" Sierra adventures – years of 90+ continuous summer days with multiple resupply points planned - All I can say is good luck on this strict itinerary thing. Took me more than a few seasons to realize that it is the Sierra herself that dictates agendas, not the other way around. While most admirable all the pre-thought that must have gone into this intended odyssey, feel doubtful that things will actually progress, up there, as you so diligently planned, so meticulously scripted, down here.

Impressed with the epic scope of the proposed trip, but pre-managing all possible facets from the comfort of your living room, fixating on "spread sheets" indicates, well, at least in my mind, naiveté in the hiker. In short, feel you are almost daydreaming on paper. We all do it, does not mean these plans will come to total fruition...always pessimistic as to any "detailed" planning.

Good luck Rogue, hope it all works out, but betting your routes (and timing) will drastically change…probably in the very first week too. Inviting and allowing for the possibilities of serendipity, seems a more rational wilderness approach.
Cannot wait to read your completed TR though.
Hike safe!
Mark.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'm curious myself where things will go wrong and what will have to be changed. I wouldn't doubt myself things changing in the first week. I have already considered alternatives for areas in the beginning if or when I have to change my plan.

Things changed last year from my plan also. First I was supposed to do a 9 day section then lay over and do another 9 days. Instead I put layovers in while I was out there and made the sections 10 days. Then I got a mild case of diarrhea as I was nearing the end of my second 10 day loop that made me decide to skip the 3 days I had planned to hike to Reds Meadow which then had me staying in Mammoth for 2 days unplanned and another day just going down to Reds Meadow and around. Then when I reached the trail crew at Purple Lake I worked 5 days instead of 4 with them. I did an unplanned layover at VVR. Had to detour to Rock Creek Resort unplanned. Had an extra day heading back south that wasn't planned. Climbed Mt. Barnard instead of Tyndall. Hiked out of that section a day early because of this. My last section changed allot. Added 3 extra days onto it. Hiked to Lake South America in 3 days instead of 2. Didn't layover there as planned. Spent 2 layover days at the Kern Hotspring. Didn't make it as far as I planned through Deadman Canyon. Didn't make it as far as I planned toward Silliman Pass. Hiked out a day earlier then planned at Lodgepole so spent another day there. All those changes were made when I actually left later in the year "July 11th" to account for the higher snow year. Also having the trip be 98% on trail and the most mild weather I had seen in the Sierra.

Glad to hear you have gotten out for so long also. I have only heard of maybe 2 other people that have done that. You of course have your thru hikers with a specific trail agenda but I never seem to hear about people wandering all over the High Sierra for months at a time. I ran across one woman last year that does this and she thought she was an enigma.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

The High Sierra does dictate schedules. Not people. Side drainages, peaks that interest you... meadows... There may be problems with avalanches, slippery rocky slopes, unstable snow surface conditions... and how does one keep on a schedule when you meet a packer who has a bottle of whiskey to share?

I usually just know when to go in and when to leave. Sometimes you stash your pack, hike over a pass, and go to a beer joint for the night. Life is life, but there some of us that are driven in different ways... We're all different. That makes it all great.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So I have a question about the SHR. Both maps and GPS tracks I have of the route shows you leaving the trail just before dropping into Evolution Valley and going through the Darwin Bench and over Alpine Col. Despite knowing your supposed to cross Snow Tongue Pass at some point it never clicked in my head I didn't have it on my list until I considered it today. So I guess officially the route over Alpine Col is not the SHR and probably a more tame route for some to avoid Snow Tongue Pass. What I am wondering is what the official route is from the top of Evolution Valley. Are you supposed to just walk along the steep wall to the large lake south of Snow Tongue?

Regardless I think I will keep my planned route of Alpine Col because that route passes 5 large lakes and looks at least on a top to be far more scenic which is what it's all about anyway...

So far I am half and half about keeping the June 25th start date because besides any snow I may have a chance to delay and get another week of work in which the funds would greatly help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Snow Tongue Pass is the official route. Alpine Col is an alternative. I have done both. First, there is a good use-trail that goes up to Darwin Bench. Last year there actually was a FS sign on the JMT where you turn off. The use trail gets a bit faint in a few places.

Once up to Darwin Bench you have to find a way up through a cliffy section and then traverse if you stay on the official route. Getting up to the right spot and traversing involves some tricky route finding, but is not difficult travel. I actually came over north-to-south and got hung up on cliffs. I think it is easier going south-to-north because you can see what is in front of you. The south side of Snow Tongue Pass is easy. The first 200 feet down the north side is difficult. If snow covered, it will be very steep. I did it when snow was gone and I thought it was very loose and dangerous. But, I may have hit it just as the snow had melted. I was freaked and thought the entire slope was going to slide and burry me. Everything was like quicksand. Once down the inital steep part, it gets easier and then you have to jump quite a bit of talus near Wahoo Lakes.

From Darwin Bench you just follow the lakes up to Alpine Col. This route also has a few tricky route finding sections. The south side is scree and medium sized talus. It is a bit loose but not too bad, still tedious. It took me 45 minutes to get up. The north side is serious talus hopping. Stay center-right until you get down a ways then veer left towards the inlet to Goethe Lake. It took me two tries to find the slot to get down off the upper cliffs. If you do not mind jumping huge chasms between rocks, it is actually not a bad route. I actually liked it, but there are plenty of reports on the internet that say the route is very difficult. Traverse the left (west) side of the lake. I found staying near the shore the best. I think it took me less than 3 hours to get from the pass to the outlet. Once to the outlet (nice flat camping) there is a use trail down.

I can send you files of my maps with my routes- each pass. I am not saying I found the best route, but at least you can see how it could be done. I went north-to-south over Snow Tongue and south-to-north over Alpine Col. Anyway, send me a PM if you want the maps.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well that's pretty much all I was wondering. I should be fine without the maps. I suppose route finding it part of the fun.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

post an adieu before you leave.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

After reading entries from maverick, balzaccom and riown I can now write what I was thinking while reading your entries here. I backpacked 550 days, most of it cross country. I have really enjoyed your entries and also very much your pics. I look forward to the pleasure of reading your stuff for years to come. This is the crux of matter -- future years. Will you be alive and in one piece (so to speak) for me to have this pleasure. I have my doubts. Please don't go off and get yourself killed.
tom
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I will post before I leave for sure. I am officially leaving July 2nd.

A change I have decided to make is instead of crossing Colby - Milestone - Harrison Passes while I move North I will do this as I come back later in the trip. Instead I will cross Copper Mine Pass and go down Cloud Canyon and over Avalanche Pass. This will put me 2 days ahead of schedule which will allow me to possibly break up the major gain days such as the 5000 foot gain to Moose Lake. It will also remove the possibility of bad crosses on these passes and bad water crossings such as Bubbs Creek.

As I said I am not trying to get myself killed out there but the circumstances of my life make me not only doubt I will live for years to come but hope that I do not. But that is irrelevant.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Did I guess that or what?
PS: I don't mean I think he wants to die.