Snow and Water levels 2011

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow and Water levels 2011

Post by tim »

Here's some photos from when I flew over Mammoth and Yosemite into SFO this morning.
191.JPG
193.JPG
196.JPG
The photos don't show it so well, but Merced and Washburn don't appear to be frozen (or at least are not snow covered) - there is snow on the sides of the valley above them (and presumably in the trees), but exposed areas of granite are fairly clear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

great recon, tim.. makes me fret my late july trip even more if we don't get some warmer weather.
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

Wow those are truly amazing shots. Well done! Thinking about doing the duck lake pass in late June... Looks like at least the lake won't be frozen, but my feet might be! ;)
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I posted this on another thread, but maybe it's better here.

Don't know if I ever mentioned I work (very part time) as a snow surveyor. Here are the June 1st numbers: the southern Sierra is averaging about 75% of April 1 (last year was 70%), the central Sierra is averaging 100% which is 30% greater then last year.

Mammoth Pass and Gem Pass are both coming in huge at 145% and 182% respectively. Blackcap Basin is also 145%. Note that these numbers are compared to April 1st. The percent to date is more along the lines of 250% to 350%

This weekend and part of next week are forecasted to be cold and snowy throughout the Sierra (1 to 2 FEET possibly above 10,000'). If the pack is still at 100% by June 8th, (which looks very likely at this point) it will match that of the record year of 1983 to date in the central Sierra.

It is no where near that record to the south.

What I've noticed on my ski tours this spring is that the snow increases substantially; to the north, with elevation and west of the crest.

What's all this mean? Heck if I know. Just thought y'all might be interested.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Great info Tim, really cool to see such a large area from above.
I am surprised some what about the low snow coverage in the Merced corridor
in the Washburn area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Here's a couple more (looking south). The first one has Mammoth Mountain in the center (its June Mountain not Mammoth at the bottom of the photo), with Mammoth Lakes Basin then Duck Pass and the Silver Divide just behind it. Given that Mammoth Lakes Basin is still frozen, it seems unlikely that Duck Lake will thaw anytime soon. The second has Humphreys Basin doing a good impression of Antarctica towards the top center of the photo.
188.JPG
187.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Snow water content at Kibbie Ridge just dipped below 5" today (June 6). Kibbie Ridge dipped below 5" on the following dates in our comparison years:

2010 30 May (putting us 7 days behind last year)
2006 11 May (putting us 26 days behind 2006)
1998 10 June (putting us 4 days ahead of 1998)
1995 1 June (putting us 5 days behind 1995)

2006 and 1998 had almost as much snow as we had this year, but 2006 had a warm spring and 1998 had a cool spring. As you can see, we are much closer to the 1998 pattern than the 2006 pattern.

For the central Sierra (Yosemite etc.) 1998 seems a good comparison year. Anyone remembering trips in 1998 should chime in since this will be very similar.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You use Kibbie Ridge as one of your key points. The environment of Kibbie Ridge may be different now than in the past, due to the Kibbie Ridge fire. I think the sensor is out in the open, however, I wonder if the general snowfall and melt there has been in any way altered. Any individual sensor is characteristic of a particular elevation and slope orientation and microclimate. I hesitate to make conclusions based on any single sensor. I would instead look at the % average melt graphs of the northern, middle and southern Sierra. Then look at sensors in the actual area you are planning your trip. Then, you need to look up the location of the sensor(they give lat and lng), plot it on a map and see what alpine environment it represents. I have run across several sensors and it is interesting to see their exact location. I actually camped next to the Farewell Gap sensor. Anyone who goes over Bishop Pass sees the sensor.

None of the sensors is going to say much about above-10,000-foot snowpack, an area we backpackers are concerned about. The lower elevation sensors are however, an indication of ease of access to the high country. The only real way to determine conditions is to go out and see! So everyone- keep posting on the "conditions" reports.
dharmali
Topix Newbie

Post by dharmali »

Thanks, JD, for a very interesting post.

My friends and I have an early August, mostly high route trip planned from Mammoth to Yosemite and have adopted a 'wait and see' attitude. With the numbers you posted, I'm looking at a fallback hike near the Palisades. Any info on that area from you or other backcountry aficionados will be more that appreciated.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

dharmali wrote:T Any info on that area from you or other backcountry aficionados will be more that appreciated.
Upper Big Pine Cr drainage is currently ~100% of April 1. Bishop Pass (Dusy Basin) ~135% of April 1.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail