2-3 Day Trip June 18-20 (i.e. to snow camp or not to snow...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jmlokitz
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

2-3 Day Trip June 18-20 (i.e. to snow camp or not to snow...

Post by jmlokitz »

I am looking for a great place to bring my novice backpacker wife for a 2-3 day (1-2 night) backpacking trip that offers enough beautify and solitude that she will be hooked. A little snow on the ground probably won't be a big deal but I want her to be comfortable and safe. Coming from San Francisco, we'd be happy driving 6-hours in any direction (SEKI, Yosemite, Lassen, Trinity Alps, Redwoods, etc.).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: 2-3 Day Trip June 18-20 (i.e. to snow camp or not to snow...

Post by oldranger »

SEKI/redwood Canyon

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Rancheria Falls is a great introductory 2 night trip. You won't have solitude at the main campground but if you climb Leconte Point on the second day, then you are fairly unlikely to see anyone. You can also camp slightly further up the trail towards Leconte Point (just after crossing the Rancheria Creek bridge) away from the crowds (last year you had to walk back down the trail a couple of minutes to get water, but maybe not this year).

We did it last year the same weekend:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would never take a first time backpacker out during mosquito season! So check the mosquito report here. Some of the lower elevations may be getting bugs in a few weeks if it warms up. Wildflowers would be a nice bonus. Although it does not have the solitude you want, Point Reyes is a really nice place to take a beginner. How many miles (or hours) per day is your goal? If she loves the ocean, the Lost Coast is spectacular, but requires meticulous planning for the tides.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

jmlokitz wrote:I am looking for a great place to bring my novice backpacker wife for a 2-3 day (1-2 night) backpacking trip that offers enough beautify and solitude that she will be hooked. A little snow on the ground probably won't be a big deal but I want her to be comfortable and safe. Coming from San Francisco, we'd be happy driving 6-hours in any direction (SEKI, Yosemite, Lassen, Trinity Alps, Redwoods, etc.).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Ok.. quick question: how novice? describe your and her abilities, likes, dislikes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I would not take a newbie wife on a trip with snow on the ground, unless you have
adequate gear, and an understanding how to camp in these environments.
Also be aware that mosquitoes may be active at lower elevations, so be prepared
otherwise she will never go out with you again!
There are some previous threads about "how to preparing or deal with mosquitoes"
just do a search.
There is a "Suggestion For Requesting Trip Advice" section above which will gives us
some info on your abilities, and things the both of you are interested in seeing.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:SEKI/redwood Canyon

Mike
The road is still closed... but we are dayhiking that on Sunday, so will have detailed info if they would like that option.

There is a dirt road that one can take from Eshom to get to the trailhead, which is apparently passable - someone who went out there said they hiked in from Quail Flat and found a car sitting in the lot.

But it will be muddy, and full of skeeters....
jmlokitz
Topix Newbie

Post by jmlokitz »

Great feedback - thank you everyone! I never thought about the mosquitoes but so happy you reminded me. Yes, we would be miserable. My wife and I are active and can probably manage between 12-18 miles/day with a pack. I like the idea of Point Reyes and will likely be making the reservation call tomorrow. We're also crazy planners (even a little OCD at times) so a Lost Coast trip might suit us perfectly.

Again, thank you for all of the posts. This is absolutely the best forum experience I have encountered. Keep 'em coming if you have other ideas.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Make sure you visit Alamere Falls when doing the Coast Trail in Point Reyes National
Seashore, it is the highlight of the trek.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org