Eastern Sierra passes - mid July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mammoth80
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Eastern Sierra passes - mid July

Post by mammoth80 »

I've decided to leave the "high" high sierra for future summers with the scouts. Thanks for all the input. Lakes and passes above 11k will likely have considerable snow and many of the boys don't have proper gear yet.

I plan on doing 20-25 miles around 1000 island lake and vicinity near Mammoth. I'd like to see as many lakes as we can and try to camp at the less crowded ones. Is it better to go out of Agnew Meadows or Rush Creek? Suggestions for routes?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

m80

Did I miss something? You are talking about 7 people and you do not yet have a permit? You'd better check quotas before selecting. Half of total quota (usual amount saved for day before/day of start may be less than 7 people for some TH. In case you have issues with getting permits on the east side, midweek permits are almost always available for one of the entry points from the Sunset Meadow TH just w. SEKI. This gets you into Sugarloaf Valley/Ranger lakes (lakes range from 8600 to about 9400 ft.)area and could meet your desire for a loop trip (at least a lolipop with a short handle. I suspect there will be some snow but it should be doable by after the 4th of July unless we are in for a new ice age. You pick up permits at Grant Grove.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
mammoth80
Topix Novice

Post by mammoth80 »

oldranger wrote:m80

Did I miss something? You are talking about 7 people and you do not yet have a permit? You'd better check quotas before selecting. Half of total quota (usual amount saved for day before/day of start may be less than 7 people for some TH.

Mike
According to INF website, TH quota for Shadow Lake is 30, River Trail is 30, High trail is 20, and Rush Creek is 30, of which 60% are reservable. As of 6/3 none of these were full for our dates. Am I missing something? Some people have even told me I might be fine with a walk in since we'll be arriving the day before (a Thursday).

I don't want to chance it so I'll call the rangers tomorrow and send in my reservations for something that has enough room. Hopefully we don't have any problems.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

hmm. with large groups, call early, call often. call now..
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Just a note on Piute Pass/Humphrey's Basin. In 1998 (similar to this year), my wife, son, and I did a trip in mid-July. The snow coverage was 80% from 1/4 mile below Piute Pass. All the lakes were still at least partially frozen. For your group, staying below the 9,000-10,000 foot level seems like it would be good idea. In another year, Humphrey's or Dusy Basin would be a great place to go for your scouts, but not this year. Hope you have a great trip.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

M80,

Another thought. Do some warm-up trips at lower elevation, short duration with the scouts, and then plan your trip for 2-3 weeks before their school starts. That gives you time to get the equipment together, get a permit, most skeeters gone, and less snow.

guess that plan depends on when school starts.. Used to be after labor day.. YMMV.