2-3 day loop in sequoia/kings canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
john barrett
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

2-3 day loop in sequoia/kings canyon

Post by john barrett »

First, thanks for all the suggestions yall have given on my Yosemite trip. I have decided to stop in sequoia/kings canyon for 3 nights from June 16-18 before I drive up to Yosemite. I am looking for ideas for a nice loop preferably with not too much snow because my girlfriend will be with me and she is a newbie to backpacking (only 2 nights on PCT in SoCal). Thank you for any help you can provide.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: 2-3 day loop in sequoia/kings canyon

Post by oldranger »

No low elevation loops that I know of, perhaps an up and back to paradise valley. Likely to be multitudes due to limited opportunities this year.

Might consider day hikes out of giant forest or Cedar and just car camp.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
john barrett
Topix Novice

Post by john barrett »

doesn't need to be low elevation. Is the snow real bad in the southern sierras too? I know I can handle the snow and believe she can as well. Any loop recommendation will be nice and we can decide after getting there and seeing the conditions.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

All the routes in SEKI will be snowy. I would expect them to be - most of the trails start higher than many of the Yosemite hikes. There is still ample snow along the sides of the road. We hiked to Mist Falls and encountered backpackers who wanted to do Rae Lakes loop (folly for anyone who doesn't want to deal with snow) and were turned back at Upper Paradise.

You might get out to Bearpaw and back, it's lower. But be careful where there are creek crossings, the water will be high and dangerous.

It is snowing this weekend, down to 7,000 feet. There were chain requirements in Yosemite and the road between Kings Canyon and Sequoia was actually closed recently for a short time. You need to check the road conditions as well as the trail conditions before you go and carry cables or chains - clearly this is not normal and the weather is not predictable at all.
john barrett
Topix Novice

Post by john barrett »

what about any other hikes in the sierras. hiked the PCT in 08 but am not familiar with anything else. Doesn't need to be a loop. Any suggestions for a three night trip even if we have to hike from a basecamp. The less people the better.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

John wrote "my girlfriend will be with me and she is a newbie to backpacking
(only 2 nights on PCT in SoCal)."
"I know I can handle the snow and believe she can as well".

Are you sure you want to expose her to winter camping as a newbie?
If you do, make sure she is comfortable as possible otherwise you may turn her off from
backpacking for good, also make sure it is something she wants to do, and not something
your pushing her into because you want to get out.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are really nice campgrounds in Cedar Grove or Lodgepole. You can day hike and see a lot too- Mist Falls, Moro Rock, Crescent Meadow, Middle fork Keweah to Panther Creek Falls. However, I think Yosemite has better day hiking. I would spend a few days in Yosemite Valley day hiking. The 12mile Valley floor loop is really nice. We have also taken bicycles and really enjoyed bicycling the valley. You can rent bicycles at Curry Village. And the Mist trail up to top Nevada Falls,and JMT down is classic. As is Yosemite Falls.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The best you'll likely do is a one night backpack before you hit snow, honestly.

I'd car camp and dayhike - you'll see and do a lot more that way.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

The middle fork trail isn't too strenuous but you'd need to do an up and back.

It's about 3k-6k ft, and I got snowed on last weekend with the snow being as low as 4k ft but by June you should be fine.

The trail has a couple of creek crossings in the first 6 miles that shouldn't be too bad in June and past that there are foot bridges.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Bandito wrote:The middle fork trail isn't too strenuous but you'd need to do an up and back.

It's about 3k-6k ft, and I got snowed on last weekend with the snow being as low as 4k ft but by June you should be fine.
Posted on JUNE 5th. :p

A friend of mine hiked the middle fork and nearly drowned in a creek crossing... be careful out there.