What's it like getting a walk in permit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: What's it like getting a walk in permit?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have one permit experience for Whitney, in early September. I finally got a permit in the lottery, paid $$ for three of us. Well, things change with time, the two partners bailed and I was in the permit office to make changes for a solo trip. Instead of climbing Mt Muir I decided to salvage the trip by doing a 10-day solo yo-yo to Hamilton Lake and back. I waited in line with several others. All the others were getting first-come permits and had no trouble at all. For all the $$ I lost getting a reserved permit, I will not do that again for a trip planned after Labor Day or mid-week. At this point, I am willing to take the chance to save the $$. I think the chance of getting a permit any time of the day for one person is excellent, for two good to fair, but for larger groups, particularly on prime weekend dates, probably not that good- for large groups you better get there early and stand in line.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What's it like getting a walk in permit?

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote: for large groups you better get there early and stand in line.
Um, for larger groups, put in reservations, beforehand. This is kind of obvious. Solos or duos, ok.. show up spend an extra day, and get a permit.. If you have more than 2, plan your trip, get the permit ahead of time, or you might be disappointed.