Here's what it's like out there now

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Here's what it's like out there now

Post by bluefintu »

WOW !!! Thank you for the info. Looks like winter still and more on the way. I,ve been looking at my options, go skiing at Mammoth, in July ? or defend ourselves with the snow or bugs backpacking . I'm still waiting for the SNOW to Melt. My son does'nt want to carry an ice dril !!!!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

9 days without seeing anyone else - what a dream!! That is one amazing trip, your encore will be???
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sweetsierra,

Thanks for taking the time to pass this very useful info on to all our HST members.
Looking forward to hearing about the Kennedy Meadows to Kearsarge Pass section too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Looks like an incredible trip. I could barely recognize some of those places (like Darwin Bench) with all the snow!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Cool, wish I had the proper skis for something like that.
Piece of cake.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

DAVELA wrote:frikkin' jealous.How much preparation goes into a trip like that?Gotta have a lot of expensive winter gear...i snowshoe but would prolly have to get new skis n boots and tent etc...
looks so awesome.Cant beleive how much snow there is?
Probably the hardest part of the prep is the transportation. We ended up paying a friend to drive a vehicle from the starting trailhead to their place in Tahoe, then drive down to pick us up on the east side at the end. The other way is do put a vehicle at either end, which means lots of driving for all.
Of course, all the years of experience on shorter and easier trips counts as preparation, I guess.
Not so much on the expensive winter gear - really pretty basic stuff, since traveling light is critical for a trip like this.

And as to the proper skis (re Hikerduane) - that's the easy part, really, as none of the skiing is really all that challenging. I'm not such a great skier, but I'm not too proud to walk down if it's too steep for me. I play it safe. No sense taking chances when you're carrying a pack and you're 4 days from anywhere. Anyway, the steep downhills are only a small percentage of the trip. Most of the time you are going uphill or on rolling terrain. so you don't have to be a good skier - but you do have to be a really good navigator.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just enjoyed your slideshow immensely. Envious, really. that was epic. Almost makes one appreciate the ease with which one can move on snow. I hate to say this, but better than a fishing TR. :)

I'm not a great skier either, and I appreciate those comments as well, because when you actually do it, it's not that bad.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

If i had discretionary cash i would pay paul or anyone else to let me tag along.Thats a dream trip.I prefer the Sierra in snow.Im absolutely blown away by it when i snowshoe there.I dont know if i would have the stamina for winter camping.When i was snowshoeing at big pine/north fork,some guys were headed out on skis with skins to go climb one of the 14ers.I thought, what frikkin rock stars!

What im wondering is that Paul says the snow is fresh but all the reports i read seem to say that snow is hard.Someone on the whitney board posted pics from kearsarge pass looking west and it is blanketed in snow.So maybe i hike over kearsarge and break out the snowshoes?Night temps are in the teens tho and my summer tent and 20deg bag would prolly kill me.So frustrating! :eek:
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

DAVELA wrote:What im wondering is that Paul says the snow is fresh but all the reports i read seem to say that snow is hard.Someone on the whitney board posted pics from kearsarge pass looking west and it is blanketed in snow.So maybe i hike over kearsarge and break out the snowshoes?Night temps are in the teens tho and my summer tent and 20deg bag would prolly kill me.So frustrating! :eek:
Dave, I hope I didn't confuse anyone. We had a foot or so of fresh at the start of our trip (may 18), but that consolidated in a day or two. After that it was firm - crusty in the mornings and getting a little slushy some afternoons, but generally firm. You could walk without snowshoes if you got up early and got going.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hey, I know that guy! Nice trip Paul.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail