yosemite hike from june 21-24 or 25th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: yosemite hike from june 21-24 or 25th

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As backpackers we all want "big scenery" and "few people". This year, you may have to get into the snow to acheive both those goals. The valley rim traverse I mentioned above definitely has the "big scenery" but you have to occasionally sacrafice the "few people" concept and you may still have patches of snow. Only you can decide if that is too much compromise to make. A few more details on the traverse- 42 miles total, 13,000 feet gain and loss, 5-day trip would average 8.5 miles per day and 3,000 give or take gain per day. I have done this route, even when the valley was crowded, and yes, you bump into people but except for the Mist Trail and Yosemite Falls trail you really will not see many people. Granted, not like a High Sierra trip, but I personally rather deal with a few people rather than backpack in inferior secenery just to avoid people.

If you really want to do the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne , have you thouhgt about going to Harden Lake from Aspen Valley (about 7 miles and 1,500 feet gain), then down to Pate Valley and go up the Tuolumne as far as you can go, and simply return same route. Also, it is possible that the road will be open to White Wolf before the entire road opens to Tioga Pass. You could at least see the lower half of the canyon.
john barrett
Topix Novice

Hetchy/Rancheria Falls/Lake Vernon/Beehive/Hetchy Loop

Post by john barrett »

Thanks again to all. At this point I am leaning towards the loop from Hetchy/Rancheria Falls/Lake Vernon/Beehive/Hetchy. Other suggestions are welcome but I would appreciate some more info on this loop and what to expect condition wise. I am thinking of getting some Kahtoola microspikes for this trip. I have poles. Any comments on the microspikes?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi John

Did you check out bill-e-g's trail report in his thread below to Jack Main, where you'll
see pictures of the current conditions in the Lake Vernon area.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

I agree with many of the recommendations given by other posters but I wouldn't count out the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne just yet. I think they have plowed the road all the way through and shouldn't be open before too long and I would be surprised if it wasn't open by the time you are here. I've hiked it before the road has opened, albeit during a low snow year but that was in early May, not late June, and it was great. There were some stream crossings, Morrison and Register being the ones that I remember concerned me. Not because of the crossing itself, it was just knee deep or so, but the waterfalls directly downstream of the crossing. The hardest part for me was the flooded sections before (downstream) of Glen Aulin where it is just standing water for long sections for a few miles. It was just really cold to be in and out of freezing water for that long in chacos. So if the most difficult part of the trip was dealing with cold feet, you can see it wasn't all that difficult.

I would second the north rim of the valley. You can go from near Foresta on 120 to Mirror Lake, or reverse it. You get to see wonderful views of the valley almost the entire way and not really see that many people, except just at the top of Yosemite Falls. Eagle Peak, between El Cap and Yose Falls, is one of my favorite views of the valley and doesn't get much use. Dry camping at North Dome is easy, you just have to carry water about mile or so from the nearest creek.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yosehiker wrote:I agree with many of the recommendations given by other posters but I wouldn't count out the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne just yet. I think they have plowed the road all the way through and shouldn't be open before too long and I would be surprised if it wasn't open by the time you are here. I've hiked it before the road has opened, albeit during a low snow year but that was in early May, not late June, and it was great.
Um, It snowing up there now, and more to come this weekend. Even if the road opens by then, it's not gonna be an easy hike. Fun for the twisted, yes, but not easy.

They haven't posted an update on the Yose site for a week. Probably because of the extra foot and a half of the snow that has fallen lately. I'm betting they moved the plows to Glacier pt and other roads, until the snow stops. Then they still need to clean up the side roads before opening.

to each their own. if it does melt fast in mid june, that makes it even more twisted, given the run-off.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite hiker wrote "I think they have plowed the road all the way through."

Is this a guess, or do you have inside sources?
Yosemite NPS site has not been update since last week on the 26th, and with all
the snow last week, more this week, and more coming this weekend, the clearing
may be a while.
Folks in the previous posts were recommending doing the GCT from Hetchy or Aspen
Valley, not Tuolumne Meadows.

Rlown wrote "Um, It snowing up there now, and more to come this weekend. Even if
the road opens by then, it's not gonna be an easy hike. Fun for the twisted, yes, but
not easy."
I'll will be happy to be categorized as twisted if this happened!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote: Rlown wrote "Um, It snowing up there now, and more to come this weekend. Even if
the road opens by then, it's not gonna be an easy hike. Fun for the twisted, yes, but
not easy."
I'll will be happy to be categorized as twisted if this happened!

I thought of you when i wrote that :D Still, don't die. who ever claims your camera will undoubtedly have some great shots before the lightning bolt struck.. :thumbsup:
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

All I was saying don't count out the trip on the GCT. Who knows what the conditions will be like in 3 more weeks. Obviously check the conditions with a ranger before you go on the hike to make sure it's safe, etc (the usual obvious caveats) but I have taken an 'early' trip down the GCT and it was ok.

maverick: I heard it from a friend that they have plowed at least a lane through, but are widening that, plowing pullouts, etc. There are still a couple of potential/active avalanche zones which is the main obstacle to opening the road. That's all I know. Though with at least the road plowed through I think there will be a lot of pressure to open the road as soon as possible. But predicting when the road will open is of course nothing more than guesswork
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosehiker wrote "I have taken an 'early' trip down the GCT and it was ok."

I agree Yosehiker, it can be a very fun hike, with the snow on the ground, and
the waterfalls in the mix, Waterwheel, and LeConte Falls can be an even more
wonderful site for a photographer, or backpacker, than it is the rest of the year!

yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

Don't forget about the relative or complete lack of other people. And I was just amazed by the river the whole trip. Such a cool place...