The Backpack to Nowhere -- TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Backpack to Nowhere -- TR

Post by Shawn »

Point taken TehipiteTom , and of course being a prudent man I agree with you as the cliché obviously lacks original thought and isn’t intended to be taken literally. No doubt an attorney has a 30 page detailed version of the same cliché, cleaned up so as not to offend anyone (it just doesn't fit on a bumper sticker too well).

I must admit though, over the course of my career I have experienced some truly bad days which have yet to compare (so far) to my worst day backpacking. Hopefully it’ll stay that way and you guys and gals won’t have to read about me being the subject of an SAR operation with big orange helicopters (LOL).

You comment about highs and lows and living reminds me of this quote:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and to see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived- Henry David Thoreau "

And with that, we can resume normal programming…
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

But the picture of Olancha Pk. is wonderful. Good job.

That's the problem with the southern Sierra - in the past it was open to all kinds of different "recreation opportunities." Thats the NF motto... "multiple uses."

When I first worked in the Sequoia NF, it was the first year that motorized vehicles (motorcycles) were banned because the Golden Trout Wilderness was established. I had a terrible time trying to send motorcycles back, and I packed out so many bags of oil cans etc. I picked out of the bushes (early in the season when the leaves hadn't fully grown out, and you can see them) that the packer came in every week and hauled out tons of garbage...
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Shawn wrote:No doubt an attorney has a 30 page detailed version of the same cliché, cleaned up so as not to offend anyone (it just doesn't fit on a bumper sticker too well).
Actually, as an attorney who works in a large law firm, I feel I am in a position to use that cliche with 100% accuracy, without any caveats, exclusions, modifications or qualifications whatsoever. ;)
(Nice Thoreau quote.)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

LOL, that is too funny.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but...what the heck...

I think I would put it this way: my days backpacking are as memorable as my days working are forgettable. ;)

But I'd add this: the vividness of experience that is (for me) one of the primary attractions of backpacking can cut both ways. The highs are higher, but the potential lows are also lower. And IMO, it's impossible to fully appreciate the highs without acknowledging at least the potential of the lows. That's really the only point I was making.

ETA: And as a paralegal who works in a large law firm, I'll just note that when I do have a really bad day at work it's the attorneys who make it that way. ;)