California Odyssey part III, May 22-23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

California Odyssey part III, May 22-23

Post by oldranger »

One of the things I have always wanted to do is camp under Giant Sequoias. Camping in Redwood Canyon in SEKI was the last trip on my abbreviated menu. Driving up to the park I scouted the Generals Highway and found the road to Redwood Saddle and the TH had not been opened. Not to worry a turnout was fortunately located right where the ridge up from the saddle meets the highway. A quick trip to Grant resulted in a permit and soon after I was striding down mostly snowfree slopes. In 20 minutes or so I reached the TH.
IMG_1900.jpg
The hike to my campsite was about 3 miles and at no time was a Sequoia not visible. It was a humbling experience hiking among these giants. As I got lower the snow increased, I assume due to the the reduced slope, increased canopy, and cold air dumping into the canyon.
IMG_1906.jpg
I noticed 2 pairs of people tracks in the snow that seemed to wander quite a bit. Once I followed them and they led to a tagged tree so I assumed they were the tracks of someone doing research. There were several fallen giants across the trail (which is really an old road for a mile and a half or so). These were intriguing in their own right.
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg
With my intent just to soak up the ambiance of the canyon I soon made camp amongst a family of 4 sequoia. I spent a long time eyeballing the limbs way up in the trees before deciding that the risk of getting clobbered by a falling limb was pretty low. As you can see in the pic below the trees had been pretty well pruned during the winter and the fact that there were no newly fallen limbs a my chosen tent site suggested that everything above was pretty solid (or ready to fall?). The duff was so thick an unconsolidated that I had procure some rocks from the creek to secure my tent stakes and there were a lot of sequoia cones that had to be cleared to eliminate significant bumps under my downmat.
IMG_1912.jpg
After setting up camp I decided to see what kind of fish were in Redwood Creek.
IMG_1914.jpg
An Elkhair Caddis tempted several small rainbows but the most interesting part of the fishing was the large collections of ladybugs along the creek. I have seen more massive collections before (10 ft. long log covered several inches thick) but never dispersed over such a long distance.
IMG_1923.jpg
I made what turned out to be the funniest movie I have ever made but don't have a clue how to make the 17 meg movie available. Soon I returned to camp for summer sausage, cheese, and daiquiris.
IMG_1943.jpg
It stayed dry over night and was bright in the morning but soon clouded up for the trip out. At higher elevations the trees were draped in a curtain of fog.
IMG_1949.jpg
I was kind of disappointed I didn't see a bear but there were tracks near my camp when I arrived and there were bear tracks on top of mine for a short distance as I retraced my route on the way out.

Lesson learned. While we all long for the High Sierra, without undo risk and effort there are many neglected low and mid elevation places we can seek out and find solitude and beauty. Just need to think outside the box.

I finished up my California trip with brief visits to old SEKI friends, one I hadn't seen since 1990 and neither of us recognized the other at first.

Thanks for reading!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: California Odyssey part III, May 22-23

Post by BSquared »

Nice TR, Mike!
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Cool shots with the sequoias, especially the one with the fog OR!
Also enjoyed the Lady Bugs picture, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Thanks for your trip reports Old Ranger. A very enjoyable read while I'm sitting here at work, waiting for the next series of storms to come through.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great report and pictures. My favorite is how small your tents is among the giants. What a great place to spend a lazy afternoon.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Great pictures! How far can one reasonably hike in there, at this time of year?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Quentinc

You start high and I think the trail goes down about 5 or 6 miles. I stopped way before that because I wasn't sure how far down the Sequoia grove extends.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Always wanted to camp amongst those giants in the 'off' season. Simply love that photo of your tent amongst those giants
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Wonderful report. My wife and I have always wanted to camp in the sequoias. You've given us another future trip. And I totally agree with the "Lesson learned."
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Great pictures. Makes me "jones" for the Sierra.