Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day hike

Post by AlmostThere »

amigo wrote: Does anyone know what bus I have to take from Yosemite Valley up to the Porcupine Creek trailhead? Is it a free shuttle or a YART? We hope to leave early in the morning so we get a relatively early start from the trailhead. How long is the hike from the trailhead into the Valley via North Dome and Yosemite Falls? I think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 13 miles, is it not ... and mostly downhill? If so, it should be ok as long as we get a start before 9-9:30am. Not sure what time the bus goes by the trailhead.
The hiker bus leaves Curry around 7:30 am, I believe. YARTS is another option if they would allow you to specify where you are dropped off as the hiker bus does... I think they have set stops tho. Hiker bus should be about 14 bucks per person unless it's gone up. You also should reserve seats.

The mileage sounds about right. The downhill on the Yose falls trail is brutal on the knees - granite steps and short switchbacks. You have to walk at least to the Lodge for bus service of any kind. Fortunately it's a short walk.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The YARTS schedule and fees are on the internet. I may be wrong, but I thought the YARTS bus only goes once a day leaving about 4PM from the Valley heading towards Tioga Pass. I was looking into that for an early season trip when they only do weekends. On full summer schedule, they may have more options. They say that they will let you off at trailheads as long as there is a safe place to pull over and it does not slow them down too much. They are kind of wishy washy with that. I expect that if everyone on the bus wanted to get off at every trailhead between the Valley and Tioga Pass, they may not do that.

YARTS is definitely the cheapest ride. I think the Yosemite tour bus is $20+ per person. You also get a senior discount, and discount for kids on YARTS.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh, another thought. If you are coming from Tuolumne, why not just park at the trailhead on Tioga Road and hike to the valley. Then leave the family in Yosemite to sight-see while you take a bus back to pick up your car. That way it is only one ticket and less stress on the family. And then you do not have to even think about traffic to the Valley to catch a bus.
rrrice
Topix Novice

Re: Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day

Post by rrrice »

What should I expect this year in terms of water availability along this trail by late-July?