Kibbie Lake this weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kibbie Lake this weekend

Post by windknot »

Yikes. Thanks for the update, and I'm looking forward to the pictures as well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The lake is just about ready to thaw. I think a week of good weather will do it. But it will take longer for the snow around the lake to melt. The photos were taken on Saturday- it snowed more Sat aft and night.

Mid-lake ice

NW inlet area - more melted

west side of lake
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Nice report, WD. I don't think we're gonna get a warm-up soon. kind of sucks when your lure just skips across the ice..
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks WD for confirming what I was afraid of. We've been to KL early season several times over the years. Once a big group of us was chased out early on the third day by heavy rain that had us all ridiculously soaked despite rain gear by time we reach the trailhead.

Spent Friday Saturday dispersed camping about 4k on the Mammoth Pool Road. Spent all Saturday shooting wildflowers.
Last edited by SSSdave on Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for the report. This is a great calibration point for the thaw for many of us here, both this season and for the future.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Hey Bill-e-g, welcome to HST :D
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The lake is just about ready to thaw. I think a week of good weather will do it. But it will take longer for the snow around the lake to melt. The photos were taken on Saturday- it snowed more Sat aft and night.

Mid-lake ice

NW inlet area - more melted

west side of lake
Thanks for sharing the pics WD. This year looks like 1995 to me. Too much snow!!!!

Texan
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you, WD, for the report and the pictures. It is quite beautiful in the snow. Makes me think that this is a rare opportunity for most of us summer season backpackers to try out a little snow camping.

The Kibbie Ridge gauge shows the melt about 8 days behind last year, or about 2 weeks behind average. Based on your report that looks about right.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I just looked at the Kibbie ridge snow sensor data too and the sensor indciates theres NO SNOW. The pics speak for themselves. I remember I went to Leavitt Meadows one time and the sensor said there was NO SNOW but there was a ton of it around. This winter sure looks like 1995 to me if it keeps staying cool outside. I planned my weekly trip to the Sierras in mid-August months ago. I wish I would have made it two weeks later.

Texan