The Backpacking Leash

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The Backpacking Leash

Post by maverick »

Those of you have a spouse, or girlfriend/boyfriend, who has never backpacked before
or did, or no longer does, what's the time frame that your allowed to indulge in your
backpacking adventures.
Is it 2-3 trip time limit, if yes, what is the maximum length of time each trip may be?
4-5 days, a week, or longer?
If you want to go over the alloted amount of trips do you have to pay up, either with
gift, dinner out, or is it tit for tat for each trip out?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: The Backpacking Leash

Post by Troutdog 59 »

No real leash or limit. Life, work, other interests, etc have just kinda limited the number of trips I have done the last several years. While my wife joined me on some incredible 9 day adventures in years past and enjoyed them immensley, it was never truly a passion for her as it was for me. My wife's last pack trip was in 94 after which she found out she was pregnant with our daughter. She was still quite active on the trail after the birth of our son some 5 years earlier, but the 2nd child just made it more difficult to haul all the gear so she took a break from packing. Some back and knee issues have now cooled her desire to pack. She still enjoys a few day hikes each year and still throws a fly-n-bubblr for a few rout as well. As far as me packing, shes supportive and encourages me to get out on trips.

The last 10 years or so has seen the number of trips drop off dramatically for me, but mostly due to our kids being involved in sports and some other fishing interests like surf fishing and completing the Heritage Trout Challenge (HTC). From 04 to 08 we followed my son around the state as he played club water polo and I coached on my daughters softball team from 02 to 09. In 2010 my son and I completed the HTC and my wife had back surgery, so I didn't pack at all, I still ventured into the Sierra a few times (OK, a little more than a few :D ) as I live pretty close to the west side high country so I did numerous day hikes and returned late in the evening. But now my kids are done with sports on the club level and I suddenly have summers to myself again. It also doesn't hurt that I have the backcountry bug something fierce this off-season.

I have 3 trips planned this year and am considering a late September early October trip (conditions permitting) trip as well. My brothers gonna join me for 5 days as soon as we can get in (hoping for the end of June for some lower elevation lakes), and I have a Sunday to Saturday 7 day trip planned for the end of July with my son. The third trip on the wish list will be in August and will be the best of both worlds. My wife and some friends will join us for 4 nights at the VVR, and then my daughter and I will do a 5 day pack trip out of the same area.

Regardless, I'm really excited about packing again and a big thanks goes out to all of you here at HST. Reading all the TR's and seeing the photos has re-kindled my desire to get back at it again and do some multi-day trips. I'm working out (swimming twice a week, cycling three, and at the gym every other) and am feeling the best physically that I have in years. Heck, I had to buy some new jeans cuz the old ones were too big! The previous trend had been the other direction!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi TD59

Thats cool that you wife is supportive of your passion for backpacking.
I hear from a lot of backpackers, men, that they are allowed, maybe 2 or 3
trips a year, and they are usually of a 5-6 days length.
Most of them urn for more time out, but there significant other either doesn't share
or understand there "call of the wild", or it is more of a control thing.
I know, if I want to go out on a longer trip, I'll have to sweeten up things, like a few
extra dinners out, or whatever, to get a those few extra nights out, it works,
sometimes.
I know a few guys who go on trips that they would have never have even consider
going on, if it wasn't for it being the only way they can get out on a few trips to
the sierra.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

sometimes even with permission, when our group heads out, the cell phone thing happens.. I now require the cells to be off in my truck on the way to a trip.

There's a LOT to do around here (horses, dogs, trash, whatever).. given I usually do that, there is obviously a chore transfer. She doesn't hike.

I generally do 2 trips a year; this year might be 24 days, might. I do get mixed messages, but, I will go anyway. Sometimes you just have to. I do check in when i obtain my permit. That's not always a fun call, but then the cell is off; focus on the task at hand, and well, hike and fish.

I should add that I also deer and waterfowl hunt during the winter, so there's extra days tacked on for that as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote "That's not always a fun call, but then the cell is off; focus on the task at
hand, and well, hike and fish."
Yeah, I understand, that's one of the reasons I stopped carrying a satellite phone with
me!

Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I certainly didn't mean to imply my wife and I don't butt heads sometimes over my plans for the backcountry or even day trips, because we have and I'm sure we will again. Just human nature I guess. She just knows the mountains are special too me, my place to escape. Always have been since we met back in 83. As rlown said, there's still stuff to do when Im gone (I'm the cook at home and we have a horse and the typical dogs and cats as well) so I factor all that in when I'm making trip plans and it usually results in my doing a trip or two less than those I planned after pouring over the maps all winter. It certainly doesnt hurt to have older kids that I can recruit to help out, but the only problem with that is they both want to come along most of the time!!! Also, I would be lying if I said I hadn't sprung for a few nice dinners, a shopping spree here or there at the mall, or had that Kindle Book reader show up just before a few of the trips Ive done ;)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

No restrictions but I naturally restrict myself so that I can spend time with kids and grandkids. Those that know me probably suspect that Kathy might actually enjoy my absence! But she still likes to go, too, except she refuses to go x-country any more.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Happily, backpacking is something that my wife and I love doing together...perhaps the greatest joy of my life!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

No "leash". I plan two long trips (10 days or so) that my husband goes with me. I plan the trip to meet his needs - slower paced, more fishing. He is not that much into "hiking" but likes to do something in the wilderness. Throughout the year we do weekend trips together. He does several hunting trips a year and I do not care to join him on these. He however does not join me on my "death marches" or hideous off-trail exploration trips. In the last four years, I have been away from home for up to two entire months for two of the four years! So far no problems. Last summer my kids had babies during backpack season so I helped them out for a few weeks. I also spend a few weeks a year with my mother, who is 92. My husband and I were technical alpine climbing partners for years before we married, so he know very well what he was getting into! I started climbing when I was 16 years old, so I think my family would actually be worried if I did NOT go out backpacking all the time.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If you plan group trips, there's not just one leash. and it's not so much "i can't go", as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. still translates into i can't go.

Um.. get married in the off season. plan births for the off season. ok.. everything off season. :D

I, err, We got married in Yose in mid Feb. perfect time. after duck season, and before hiking season. my b'day is in Sept. that's my day.. I go do what i want to do to celebrate that.