Backpacking/Fishing Trip to Long Lake in mid June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevo31
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Backpacking/Fishing Trip to Long Lake in mid June

Post by stevo31 »

I originally planned this trip earlier this season to stay 2 nights from June 16-18. My wilderness pass reservations have already been made and I've already requested the time off work. After reading many of the posts on here, about the snow levels and iced over lakes. I realize, i didn't do my research well enough ahead of time. This is a really great website, with lots of people giving great feedback. So I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Am I insane for going at this time of year?
2. What kind of temps should I expect?
3. Is it even worth making the trip up here at this time?
4. How likely is it to get a walk-in wilderness pass in July or August?
5. Is there any extra gear that I should bring for this time of year?

Any other advice you could give me is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking/Fishing Trip to Long Lake in mid June

Post by markskor »

Hi Stevo31...welcome aboard!

Quick question - which Long Lake - several?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
stevo31
Topix Newbie

Post by stevo31 »

Sorry, it is the Long Lake off of the Bishop Pass/South Lake Trail head.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Stevo31

Welcome aboard!
Please read the "SUGGESTIONS BEFORE REQUESTING TRIP ADVICE"above please, so we
can make a recommendation according to your experience/comfort levels, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
stevo31
Topix Newbie

Post by stevo31 »

Sorry, I didn't see that. Here you go:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?

Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
I'm comfortable with:

- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings

What is your main interest?

- Fishing
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

stevo31 wrote:I originally planned this trip earlier this season to stay 2 nights from June 16-18. My wilderness pass reservations have already been made and I've already requested the time off work. After reading many of the posts on here, about the snow levels and iced over lakes. I realize, i didn't do my research well enough ahead of time. This is a really great website, with lots of people giving great feedback. So I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Am I insane for going at this time of year?
2. What kind of temps should I expect?
3. Is it even worth making the trip up here at this time?
4. How likely is it to get a walk-in wilderness pass in July or August?
5. Is there any extra gear that I should bring for this time of year?

Any other advice you could give me is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

Stevo,

I do that hike every year......In fact I recently did a Trip Review on the "fishing Hole" (which is apart of this site) titled "TR: Long Lake" Check it out, it was a trip I did last year around the time you are going. You won't be able to camp the date you are thinking, in fact you may not be able to get there at all in Mid June this year. When I went last year in Mid-June 50% of the hike was through snow and about 75% of the lake was still completly frozen over. Check out my trip and keep in mind that there was more snow this year than last year. If you can't find the trip let me know, if you have any questions let me know. I don't think you'll know if that trip is managble until the week before. Easy hike up there (only 2 mile), tough switch backs occasionaly. Weather shouldnt be too bad...but if there is a storm that weekend it could be some tough weather.

Scott
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Likely to be ample amounts of snow there (still) in two weeks. I went to Long Lake the first time in late April 2007 (must have been a low snow year?). Anyway, maybe a few pictures will help.
http://theradioroom.org/Mountains/TRs/L ... ngLake.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly, I just recall making all the rookie mistakes - primarily going thru post hole hell working my way out as the sun had warmed the relatively deep snow. Sure is beautiful back there.

Liked it so much the first time, I waited two months for the snow to melt and returned.
http://theradioroom.org/Mountains/TRs/H ... rdPeak.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

Shawn wrote:Likely to be ample amounts of snow there (still) in two weeks. I went to Long Lake the first time in late April 2007 (must have been a low snow year?). Anyway, maybe a few pictures will help.
http://theradioroom.org/Mountains/TRs/L ... ngLake.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly, I just recall making all the rookie mistakes - primarily going thru post hole hell working my way out as the sun had warmed the relatively deep snow. Sure is beautiful back there.

Liked it so much the first time, I waited two months for the snow to melt and returned.
http://theradioroom.org/Mountains/TRs/H ... rdPeak.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great stuff Shawn! Wonderfull picutres and story line. I never thought about going up there in April or May....but now you got me thinking! I'll be up there June 24th for a similar hike. I'll be in that area off and on all summer. If your up there between now and the 24th of June i'd love to see what it looks like before I go.

Scott
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

From what I understand the road to South lake only opened yesterday (5/26) and snow level is around 9000' depending on exposure. In mid june, there will still be snow around for sure.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

There is lots of snow this year and I think mid-June is too early this year. I would wait until July this year because of the snow.

Texan