beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I was talking to an old guy at Lodegpole last year and he was saying how no one talks about it but he thought it was a perfectly reasonable subject to ask how people wipe their butt in the wilderness. He said he likes to take a stick to get the more messy bits first to save on TP. I think I agree with him on the subject so I have to ask, do you people actually use the squares on the TP as they are? You actually take them and use maybe 3 or 4 stacked? If that is the case then that is why I use so much more because I have never used TP in squares like that. I unroll probably 10 or more squares and wad it up into a ball and use that.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Most all the answers can be had by simply reading "How to s h i t in the woods". That is the actual title of the book and is available at REI or any other similar store. The technics discussed here are unneccessary. I've always felt that going to take a **** was a private time to squat and reflect on days gone by...........
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I was talking to an old guy at Lodegpole last year and he was saying how no one talks about it but he thought it was a perfectly reasonable subject to ask how people wipe their butt in the wilderness. He said he likes to take a stick to get the more messy bits first to save on TP. I think I agree with him on the subject so I have to ask, do you people actually use the squares on the TP as they are? You actually take them and use maybe 3 or 4 stacked? If that is the case then that is why I use so much more because I have never used TP in squares like that. I unroll probably 10 or more squares and wad it up into a ball and use that.
squares.. until clean. Sorry Bill, but this way no one has to buy a silly book. If you don't like the subject, don't read it. yes, i've been told that before..
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Russ, the book is no more silly than people asking how to wipe their ass.

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

At least ignorance is curable.

If someone asks me where the bathroom is (out on the trail) I'll explain it to them. I sure don't think any less of the newbs for not knowing poop protocols - I think of it as wilderness preservation, since there's so much rude, crude behavior out there and hey, a great opportunity to prevent some of it. When we are raised in a society with indoor plumbing, of course they are going to ask!

If putting a big flake of granite on it is so horrible, I wonder what "icing" rates.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Agreed, but you can't fix stupid. If a person is new in the back country it is a understandable question. "Icing" is probably alright until it melts. However asking how many squares and the preparation of them is ridiculous. But since some seem to be embracing this discussion lets see how many ways you can possibly wipe your ass in the back country.

1. Sticks. The use of sticks is probably only reccomended if you are running low on squares. What type of stick is best? Should it be straight or somewhat bent to fit the curvature of your ass? What species of tree makes for the best stick? Is one type of pine better than another? Should it be free of needles or not? With the bark on or stripped off? What to do if above treeline? Uh Oh, no sticks. Pack sticks in your pack for just in case? It should be noted that using a stick would be best on flat and stable footing lest you lose your balance, go over backwards and end up having a "Rectal Romance" with the stick. What to do with the stick when done? Well if your below the treeline you most likely can't burn it so do you bury it too or stick it in the ground so as not to look suspicious?
2. Pine cones. Do you use them complete or look for the ones that the squirrels have stripped? Stripped ones are probably best as at this point they now look somewhat like "corn cobs" and this will give you a chance to play "Pioneer" ass wiping.
3.Leaves. For obvious reasons they should be large and somewhat rough in texture. Dried leaves are probably not reccomended as they would probably crumble if used in a vigorous wiping of your ass. Stinging nettles should be avoided unless time is of the essence and you need prodding to wipe your ass fast.
4.Toilet Paper. OK. How many squares? What preparation of the squares is needed? Should you carry some Windex to apply to the paper before use so as to be streak free? Using more than one at a time might be reccomended if low quality paper due to danger of break through unless multiply folded. Should you use it square or would it be better folded into a triangle so as to look like a turnover? How many fingers should I use? Do you drape the paper over them or just stick it on the end? Should you carry scented paper just in case you didn't do a good job? Is plain white better than designer type paper?
5. Pack towel or bandana. Should only be used in emergency or at the end of your trip. Wiping your ass on either one of these and then using them for other things might have a unpleasant outcome.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Icing has nothing to do with anything that melts. It's the practice of smearing the ... product on a rock like cake icing, since in the alpine granite slabs that go for miles, you cannot dig a hole, and leaving a thin layer exposed to the elements to eventually dry up, flake off, and disintegrate.

Some people pack Wet Wipes instead of toilet paper and are entirely justified in doing so - obviously should be packed out. Since I pack TP out, in the event that I suffer some sort of dire consequence of a meal, I have been known to use a wet wipe and felt better for it.

A squirt bottle makes a fine bidet.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Well there you have it! 2 methods that I was unaware of. The use of Wet wipes are self explanatory. When it comes to "Icing" what is the preferred method of spreading it on the granite slabs? A knife? Or perhaps a spork could serve double duty (no pun intended) and be used to wipe your ass and then spread it on the rocks? The aspect of fingers just ain't making it.
Sorry if it appears that I am making fun of this thread but I am. When it came to the post of mentioning the use of sticks and how many squares and how many is actually used, and do you use them as is I couldn't resist. These questions are coming from a guy 26 yrs. old who claims to have spent most of his life alone, is planning on embarking on a 95 day cross country backpack, doesn't care if a SAR group is needed to find him and then needs to ask how do I wipe my ass?????????

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Bill Morell wrote:Well there you have it! 2 methods that I was unaware of. The use of Wet wipes are self explanatory. When it comes to "Icing" what is the preferred method of spreading it on the granite slabs? A knife? Or perhaps a spork could serve double duty (no pun intended) and be used to wipe your ass and then spread it on the rocks? The aspect of fingers just ain't making it.
Sorry if it appears that I am making fun of this thread but I am. When it came to the post of mentioning the use of sticks and how many squares and how many is actually used, and do you use them as is I couldn't resist. These questions are coming from a guy 26 yrs. old who claims to have spent most of his life alone, is planning on embarking on a 95 day cross country backpack, doesn't care if a SAR group is needed to find him and then needs to ask how do I wipe my ass?????????
Bill. you need to re-read the basenote and other threads. GuyD posted this; not Rogue. GuyD isn't from this area. Rogue is just helping.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I think the degree to which one takes the subject seriously is proportional to the number of times one has run across "dumb toilet habits" on the trail.

Yesterday on the Upper Yosemite Falls trail I found a prime example of how NOT to use a rock to cover your donation to the wilderness - when the rock is smaller than the donation, it's bad. When it's in the middle of the $%^&ing trail, it's a lot worse.