Any feedback, or input will be utilzed for a new backpacker

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Any feedback, or input will be utilzed for a new backpacker

Post by gochicagobears! »

loach,
i'd like to echo what Almost There stated.
today's SF Chronicle (back page of the Sporting Green) mentions 15' (!) of snow at May Lake (9328'), and your day 4 route mentions Cathedral as a possible location (9288'). i understand that snow accumulates and melts at varying degrees, no pun intended, but that might mean quite a lot of snow on your path if you plan on jumping off in the very near future...

al
loach
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Any feedback, or input will be utilzed for a new backpacker

Post by loach »

We will set out August 20th so snow issues should be minimal, I live in modesto and visit Yosemite fairly often, enough to appreciate 180% of snowfall for sure.

I currently have a permit for Murphy creek trailhead, with Exit Trailhead: Happy Isles->Little Yosemite Valley good for 5 nights.

After talking with the helpful Ranger at the other end of the phone I think I am good to from Murphy Creek to May Lake for night 1, hop over to Glen Aulin to set up a camp and day hike to Waterwheel falls and sleep at GA for night 2. Crosss the road "do not use the road to make distance..." and hike over to Cathedral Lake for night 3. Motor down to Cloud's Rest and then for camping night 4 Follow the Clouds Rest Trail (CRT) on a map southwest from Clouds Rest. At the first point it hits the John Muir Trail, that's the campsite. It also intersects Sunrise Creek, immediately to the south of the trail junction. The area is in a forest. There's fire rings. Last time I was there there was a bear cable, but I vaguely remember it being taken down. It's a major campsite. Most campgrounds are just to the east of the trail junction. Half Dome for day 5 and most likely LYV for night 5.

So am I getting closer to having a doable itenerary, or...wassup?

Thanks so much.