beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by gary c. »

RP,
I don't take as much as you but I know what you mean. On one trip after spending the night at the trailhead, a hiking partner saw me with a full roll and made some comment so I asked him how much he brought. He pulled out a ziplock with what looked like about 20s quares in it. All I could do is laugh and told him that I had already used almost that much and we hadn't even left the trailhead.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I think the problem is with the haphazard and inconsiderate way that some people dispose of their TP, which has given rise to the requirement in some places to pack it out. I have often seen tp fluttering on the surface. That is inexcusable.

As a former firefighter, I agree that the "burn or not to burn" question is usually considered backwards. I never burn at lower elevations--chiefly because there is always plenty of soil to dig a good burial pit, and the risk of fire spreading to the duff or needles is high. There was at least one major forest fire (in Washington State) caused by a backpacker burning TP.

At higher elevations where there is much less soil and a shorter biodegradation season I do burn whenever it seems safe to do so. That is Colin Fletcher's preferred solution.

High or low, 90% of the time I find a rock that is half buried that can be turned over and then carefully replaced in its original hole. This buries the material effectively and anchors it so that it cannot be washed out in the next rain or snowmelt.

Whether burning or not, I always use a stick to thoroughly mix the remnants of the TP with the fecal material, adding water if necessary to mix thoroughly. When I am done I may look a little green, but there is nothing recognizable as TP.

And that is probably more than you wanted to know!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Use RV toilet paper (available at walmart). It completely breaks down once wet.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I find this to be a really "shitty" topic............
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

Another option is not to use TP in the first place. I haven't carried it for many years now. It takes a little getting used to, but it works well and I don't have to mess with any TP. Try it on your next backpack and see how it goes. You can bring some TP along too so you have a backup option in case it doesn't work out too well. Like almost anything, the first time isn't the best, but you figure out a system the more times you do it. And this summer would be a good time to try it out as snow is a really good natural TP. I do get some squeamish comments about it, but if you think about it how many people in the world now or in the past use or have regularly use TP? They did it somehow, so should you.

And my $0.02 for the TP debate. Just pack it out. You don't leave or burn other items that may decompose or burn, so why just TP? I can understand why the land management agencies don't want you to burn it, so not having small fires all over the place. The few times in the past that I have burned TP I found it problematic as it was windy, or didn't burn well as it was wet/damp or I didn't want to get my hand too close to my waste, etc I guess if you really want to burn, I would do it in a hot campfire so it burns completely and is in a contained spot.

And the putting a rock on it advice is horrible. Those rocks stick out like a sore thumb. It always makes me feel very disgusted and gross whenever I see that in an area in the woods. Even areas where I know there is a lot of waste don't bother me as much as when I see those upturned rocks. Maybe just because I now know exactly where the waste is whereas other areas I can only assume.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so, you're not practical.. nice. the rock thing is what most of us do.
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

Why the snarky comment rlown? I mean you certainly can disagree with me and post your own opinion but why go beyond that?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i think i did say what i meant. it is what it is.. you go when you go.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

yosehiker wrote:And the putting a rock on it advice is horrible. Those rocks stick out like a sore thumb.
Well, it is how it is done. If you can remove and reinsert a rock in place then it has been done well, and probably should not be detectable. In any case, it is often much less disruptive to the landscape than digging a hole.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

perfect reply. it is how it is.