Tioga Pass opening date

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Tioga Pass opening date

Post by tim »

Last Update: May 20, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed to Porcupine Creek Trailhead (two miles from previous point).

Additionally, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have begun plowing from the east side and are now at Mono/Parker Pass Trailhead.

Nice photos of how much snow there is still on the Glacier Point road - though it sounds like they plan to open it for Memorial Day weekend.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I want to revise my guess to July 2nd.

tom
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

posted today - looks like Glacier Point Rd

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.ph ... stcount=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

fishmonger: The first photo you posted does indeed look like Glacier Point and maybe be current.

The next four all look like they were taken at Badger Pass area in March after the heavy snowfall that closed the park for a week. The heavy snow in the trees at least indicates it wasn't recently as there hasn't been a heavy snow for weeks now. The plows just got to Glacier point in the last week or so, so it seems it can't be Glacier Point and the building in one of the photos does look remarkably like the A-Frame at Badger Pass.

As someone mentioned previously, there are a few pics on the nps site currently of the Glacier Pt Rd at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last Update: May 23, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed from May Lake to May Lake Pit. Snow depth is 15 feet or deeper.
Additionally, as of May 20, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have plowed to 3.8 miles from Tioga Pass. Mammoth Mountain is using snowcats to expedite the process.

Check the aforementioned URL for plow position on their map.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Glacier Point to open at midday on "Friday May 26" (not clear if they actually mean Friday May 27 or Thursday May 26):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We'll be up there this weekend to check it out.

"Unofficial word" is that Tioga is targeted to open "mid June":
http://news.sierrawave.net/index.php?op ... mid=200021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last Update: May 25, 2011

Tioga Road: Crews are working near Olmsted Point.

That should be the hardest part.. Check out the pic on their site of TM. Those are the road signs on either side of what might eventually be a road. :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The Tioga Road is now open to bicycles from Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek Bridge. Please watch out for debris on the road and road crew traffic. If conditions allow, we will extend the bicycle zone farther east prior to the opening.

Last Update: May 26, 2011

Tioga Road: Crews are working east from Olmsted Point. Mono County & Mammoth Mountain crews are working between Marmot Dome and Spring hill.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, after a week.. They finally updated the page at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tioga Road has been partly plowed for its entire length. Now, road crews are working to remove snow from the entire width of the road and plow turnouts and side roads. In addition, road crews will be removing rockslides and redirecting snowmelt across the road to reduce icy road conditions. Finally, Olmsted Point is still unsafe due to avalanche danger.
The Tioga Road is now open to bicycles from Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek Bridge. Please watch out for debris on the road and road crew traffic. If conditions allow, we will extend the bicycle zone farther east prior to the opening.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Based on the latest report my guess is that the road will be open for the weekend of June 18-19. However, only the gas station and maybe the wilderness office will be open. My guess is that Campgrounds and lodge/store will be open about July 1. I think there is real economic incentive to open the route for Mono County businesses, regardless limited opportunities in the park for the average visitor.

If I wasn't fully booked for June I'd be riding my bike to whitewolf this week, then post holing/skiing down to dirt on the way to Pate Valley. would expect snow down to at least where the trail begins to parallel Morrison Creek.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!