beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

The TP issue is over-rated and over regulated. In high impact areas, there is usually a solar toilet nearby, and if not, most high impact areas are below the burn line, so go ahead and burn it. In high altitude (over 10,000 feet), save used TP until you get lower, then burn or bury it properly. Also use biodegradable TP no matter what. Those little REI rolls are perfectly good. To bury in the cat-hole after a dump, go next to the hole, wipe, put the paper at the bottom and put the dump on top and cover and compact. If there is deer nearby watching, it is best to keep the paper and burn it because after you leave the deer are likely to dig up a snack.
After all this hand-wringing began over TP, I started to note where I went, and when I returned a year or two later, I dug up the spots to see what I could find, which was basically nothing. One time I did find a dime sized very thin piece of fading paper, but it was clear the paper was being naturally recycled, thank you very much. Even with hundreds of people, we are talking about a relatively infinitesimal amount of matter in a vastly huge area naturally designed to efficiently take care of just this sort of thing. There may be exceptions, but that only requires the engagement of brains. Once again, it all comes down to common sense.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

FWIW, Always been an advocate for finding a large granite chip, turning it over - and doing my business. Then taking a full nalgene and pouring it over the paper afterwards, (after washing up of course).
TP immediately starts to break down - just falls apart/disintegrates - and no little white flags to litter the backcountry. Re-position large flat rock and done.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Yeah what mark says. But if you are really good you can pee on the TP to get things started.

Doyle, you may be right in the long term but later in the same season TP can be an issue if not dealt with by burning or soaking (one way or another). Even with burning where legal a good dose of water is a good idea to ensure that any duff does not accidentally get ignited.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Every time I get a permit the Rangers say that you must pack out all TP and that you cannot burn it even if you are at legal altitude. I understand the reason because many major forest fires have been started by idiots who can't handle a small controlled burn. Well since I can I like to dig the hole, throw the TP in it, burn it up, put it completely out and cover it up. No TP to deal with, none left in the environment, no burn marks on the ground. It's just the right way to do it IMO.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

All of the suggestions above are good ones. Like I said, common sense. One step I left out of mine is this: If you can, pee in the (at least 6 inch deep) hole, next the TP, then the scat, cover, compact, and if you can find one, put a good sized rock on it. If you cannot get the TP wet naturally, soak it with water.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

This is a bit of a pet peeve for me so I feel I need to add my $.02. I don't mean this as an attack on anyone, but would like to present another perspective.
DoyleWDonehoo wrote:The TP issue is over-rated and over regulated. In high impact areas, there is usually a solar toilet nearby, and if not, most high impact areas are below the burn line, so go ahead and burn it.
If the TP [t}issue was over-rated we wouldn't even be having this thread. We have all seen enough of the white flags, to make it enough of an issue to warrant discussion, and unfortunately enough people not properly disposing of it to warrant regulation.
I'm currently not aware of any solar toilets, but certainly have seen many high use areas above the burn line without them.

Burning TP should only be done when and where it can be done completely and in a controlled manner i.e. in an existing fire pit. Often I find it windy where I poop, so burning may not be safe. There are many ways of dealing with TP, but a very easy way to guarantee it will not be seen again, is to pack it out, or at least pack it to a fire ring where it can be burnt hot and completely.
. Even with hundreds of people, we are talking about a relatively infinitesimal amount of matter in a vastly huge area naturally designed to efficiently take care of just this sort of thing.

This would be true if the thousands of people were spread across the "vastly huge" area. But they're not. There concentrated into for the most part, heavily used areas. This is where we see the "problems". My guess is that most people on this forum somehow "properly" take care of there tissue, but many others obviously do not. Common sense is great, but it doesn't always apply. The easiest solution is to have people to "pack it out". I've been doing it for several years now and it's really not that big of a (t)issue.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I agree JD, if this wasn't an issue, than it would not be something the NPS or NFS
would try to enforce, and no, I am not saying everything they enforce makes sense, but
really, how much of an inconvenience could it be to carry a zip lock bag of used TP, it
has never been one to me.
If this is an inconvenience, what about places where you have to carry your feces and
paper out.
Here is a nice long article about this subject.
http://www.trailspace.com/articles/back ... posal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

If your are going to burn your TP, there is no reason not to burn it when you are up over the no-fire line. The reason for that prohibition is to protect the esthetic qualities of the timberline wood. There is no danger of starting a forest fire that high up, so no wood fire, no problem.

Mike
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I'm another pack it out TP person, have been for at least 30 years. What's the big deal? Put it in a separate plastic bag inside another plastic bag. I do confess to taking a bit of joy in dumping that bag in the first garbage can I see at the trailhead parking lot. As for skeeters, it's what you put up with to be in wilderness. If carrying out TP and possibly getting a skeeter bite or two while doing your business is too much of a hassle, then stay in civilization.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I think it depends on how much TP you use. I am one of these people that cannot get how some people use so little TP while others tell me they don't get how I use so much. I generally plan for one full size roll of TP (1000 sheets) to last 3 days. so on a 9 day section of a hike I will bring 3 full size rolls of TP. Now that is allot of weight and bulk and just imagine how much bulk it would be after it's all unrolled and smashed into zip locks. Burning up all that and losing weight / bulk as I go is pure bliss. :p