beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by guyd »

Hi,

Is there a trick of the trade to go pooping without going insane when there are tons of ferocious mosquitos around??
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Post by rlown »

Well.. AT already previously posted the drape concept, which works, but the key is to pick a windy, hidden spot, bring a single trowel for the group to dig your hole, do it fast. The bugs won't be as bad as you think. As for the TP. If you're below the fire limit, you can burn it. Other than that, yes, it goes in the trash zip lock. I generally carry a LOT of extra ziplocks for either fish, or trash or whatever might come up.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Guyd wrote" Is there a trick of the trade to go pooping without going insane when
there are tons of ferocious mosquitos around??"

My method is to prepare the cat hole, have everything laid out that I will need, then
move away from the area letting the skeeterz follow me or disperse, and the quickly
move in to quickly finish the deed.

The other part of your original question was about how and were to carry the used
TP, and you also asked about carrying it in a bear canister?

I place the used TP into a zip lock, that into another zip lock, and I carry it in the
underside compartment of my top lid.
Never have placed it into my canister or near my food, since a bear is not going to
come after it, and mainly because it can be a source of a variety of viruses, and bacteria
that can cause cross contamination being mixed with food.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

At the risk of sharing too much information . . .

I am blessed with a regular constitution. One **** a day, first thing in the morning when the skeeters are sleeping. That is the trick. Once the sun is up and the air begins to warm, the critters, if they are around, will be out hunting for blood, happy to bite your pink behind.

Mike
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

I forgot to repost my second question: in bear country must we put the used toilet paper (in a double zip-lock bags) into the bear canister... with the food?!?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

guyd wrote:I forgot to repost my second question: in bear country must we put the used toilet paper (in a double zip-lock bags) into the bear canister... with the food?!?
Not with the food. It's separate. I wouldn't put it in with food. Separate ziplocks.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

The trick is a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. That usually gets things moving while it's still cool and bug free!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some of my framed prints are on 40" x 60" foam core boards so have a supply really large 1 mil plastic bags to enclose them to keep dust off. They are also large enough to easily get fully inside so have a couple of purposes in the backcountry. One per your input, if I know squeeters are going to be especially numerous, I'll bring one along or if the weather is likely to be foul. At night if one needs to take a leak and does not have a pee bottle, one is not going to want to go outside if it is raining as it would bring the wet back inside. So I'll get under the plastic bag in my tent vestibule then move out in the rain where only my shoes will get wet. On return, they both are left in the vestibule. And likewise if one needs to 2 anytime of day while hordes of mosquitoes are ready to attack any exposed skin its also safe under the plastic. Additionally I almost always take a fast dip every day in the backcountry. It isn't easy to do where squeeter hordes are about. But under the plastic, I can get undressed then wade in, quickly douse, and bounce back out, in safety.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Unless it is an emergency morning or night when they are at a minimum
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Sometimes when the skeeters are real bad, even in the morning, I've put a little deet on my buns. But be careful what you touch afterwards! :moon:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!