Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin Backcountry Feasible in June?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MarmotPrince
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin Backcountry Feasible in June?

Post by MarmotPrince »

I'm interested in a route up Kearsaage page, into the 60 lakes basin. Is this feasible in late June? I know the snowpack is massive. Anyone been up there recently or done similar backcountry trips? I snowshoe.
MarmotPrince
Topix Novice

Re: Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin Backcountry Feasible in June?

Post by MarmotPrince »

I'm experienced on summer snow, neve. I've worked on 45 degree snow slopes. have crampons, snowshoes, ice axe. Done routes, scottish winter grade 2. Can climb low 5th class, done many trails at 2-3. I'm a solo backpacker.

Looking for 3-5 day trip. I would like to bag some of the accessible peaks. Cotter?
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Yes, it is feasible. Just expect to encounter lots of snow this year and come prepared for it. Snowshoes probably won't be much help. You'll need gaiters for sure. By mid June the snow should be well consolidated and deeply rutted in places from melt -- you'll come across steep sun cups. Travel is easier in the morning. You will find substantial areas that are free of snow. Skeeters will be out in force.

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Since you mention you have experience with snow travel, all the techniques, and
tools that go with it, you should have a great trip.
Cotter is a class 2-3 from SLB, so you should have no issues with it.
Here is short right up about it with some photo's.
http://summitpost.org/mount-cotter/302847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would make it a 5 day trip because of the elevation, snow that will slow you down, and
you will want to take time to enjoy the great views.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MarmotPrince
Topix Novice

Post by MarmotPrince »

maverick wrote:Since you mention you have experience with snow travel, all the techniques, and
tools that go with it, you should have a great trip.
Cotter is a class 2-3 from SLB, so you should have no issues with it.
Here is short right up about it with some photo's.
http://summitpost.org/mount-cotter/302847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would make it a 5 day trip because of the elevation, snow that will slow you down, and
you will want to take time to enjoy the great views.
Beautiful trip report.
Mike M. wrote:Yes, it is feasible. Just expect to encounter lots of snow this year and come prepared for it. Snowshoes probably won't be much help. You'll need gaiters for sure. By mid June the snow should be well consolidated and deeply rutted in places from melt -- you'll come across steep sun cups. Travel is easier in the morning. You will find substantial areas that are free of snow. Skeeters will be out in force.
Mike
I'm surprised I won't need snowshoes. I might try an approach and summit Mt Clarence king...are you sure snowshoes will be unneccessary in this backcountry? I certainly hope so but would like to make sure.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Nothing is certain, but I believe you would find snowshoes more of a hindrance than an aid -- just unnecessary weight on your back, since they don't really help you travel through the kind of snow you are likely to encounter. That has been my experience hiking at higher elevations in SEKI in late spring/early summer and specifically in the areas you are planning to visit.

Mike

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I agree with Mike, I have never needed to use snowshoes on a Spring or Summer
trip, hiking poles on the other hand come in handy.
Now my crampons, and ice axe have gotten plenty of use, especially when traveling in
the morning hours when the snow is rock hard, but if feasible I will just wait till
it softens up later in the day before going over a pass or climbing a steep section.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I doubt that mosquitoes will be out in force in June. This year I will not expect them in numbers until late July and early August.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Snow, snow, and more snow. I'd be a beautiful trip, there's no doubt. Especially getting into and through 60 Lakes Basin. By the way, great pictures Mike.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Doyle wrote:
I doubt that mosquitoes will be out in force in June. This year I will not expect them in numbers until late July and early August.
They will be out for sure earlier than you think. The little black buggers like to follow the receding snow line and you'll find them anywhere water tends to pool. These guys zoom right in and sink their noses into you with no compunction and no dawdling. Basins with meadow-like terrain attract a bigger, more leisurely sort of mosquito, the kind that will pause a moment on your shoulder before striking. The worst scenario is when you find yourself in a high altitude meadow populated with the little black high altitude skeeters that don't care to stop and smell the roses, but rather just swarm on you, striking instantly. Laurel Creek, north of Mono Creek, is one such place.

Mike