Old Army Pass August 8th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Old Army Pass August 8th

Post by Jimr »

If anyone plans to cross OAP in mid - late July or the first few days of August, please post a report of the pass conditions. I plan to leave on Aug 7th, hit Cottonwood Lakes 4 & 5 on Aug 8th, then over Old Army Pass on Aug 9th traveling to Upper Soldier L. via the south chute, then traverse the lateral moraine to Rock Creek and up to Sky Blue L. then bag Langley during the return trip. I've added the possibility of re-routing to NAP, considering the heavy snow this season, but it would be much better to know before I leave whether OAP is worth considering or not. I've considered bringing an ice axe just in case, but I have no experience with ice axes and do not want to learn on this pass with a full pack.
TIA,
Jim
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Old Army Pass August 8th

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Jimr,

I'm planning to go to Cottonwood Pass and then the Miter Basin. I'm taking my son(16) if Army pass is open or passable,(should be) I may go that route. I won't know till later. Just leave your options open this crazy year, but have fun!!! I may see you up there, I'm playing with my dates, due to my kids and activities. I'm thinking , end of July or mid August.

Don
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hi Don,
Well, if I don't see a trip report before I leave, I'll write one when I get back. May end up helping you.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

It's looking more like NAP is the way to go. If anyone has a more recent TR on OAP before Aug 6, please post. Don, have you set your date?
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Jimr,
I'm heading up this saturday and taking the Cottonwood Pass trail. After all the planing, mother nature throws a curve, smoke. We'll play it by ear, hoping to fish the Mitre Basin and beyond. Also, hoping my raft comes today.
Don
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Yep, at this point, I guess I'll just live with the smoke.
Staph79
Topix Newbie

Post by Staph79 »

bluefintu wrote:Hi Jimr,

I'm planning to go to Cottonwood Pass and then the Miter Basin. I'm taking my son(16) if Army pass is open or passable,(should be) I may go that route. I won't know till later. Just leave your options open this crazy year, but have fun!!! I may see you up there, I'm playing with my dates, due to my kids and activities. I'm thinking , end of July or mid August.

Don
I will be a day behind you. We are hitting the trail late Sunday Morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the smoke stays out of the area. Make sure you save a few fish in Miter Basin for me.

Brian
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Brian,

I'll be the skipper in the blue boat at one of the lakes in the Mitre Basin. I also hope the smoke won't be too bad. If it's too smokie, I may pack-up and head north somewhere. Plan "B", Humphreys basin.

Don
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

bluefintu wrote:If it's too smokie, I may pack-up and head north somewhere. Plan "B", Humphreys basin.
I've already 'mentally' cancelled my GTW trip scheduled for Thursday->. The air quality cams are all showing heavy smoke. Even whey they get it under control, it will still take days for the residue to finally blow on out towards Texas.

After experiencing the joys of the Star fire years ago in Tahoe, then enjoying the Canadian Rockies last summer while all of BC was going up in flames, I think I've finally learned my lesson: stay home and do something else.

As for Humphreys, Merced is feeling the effects, so if the smoke is that far north, then it's most likely blowing west as far as Mammoth.

Edit: Mammoth looks ok: , but I can't tell if it's haze or smoke looking out from Bishop: . OTOH, take a look @ Yosemite!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Whitney cam is looking pretty clear.

Don, I'll look forward to your TR.