Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day hike

Post by amigo »

Can someone please tell me how far, approx, it is from the Porcupine Creek trailhead to Yosemite Valley via North Dome and Yosemite Falls? We're considering doing this as a day hike. Considering it's downhill, sounds like it wouldn't be too big an issue. Only trick is getting a spot in the Valley and taking the shuttle to the trailhead, right? Is this possible? Thanks.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pocupine Creek to North Dome and Yosemite Valley as day hike

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's about 12.3 miles. I personally don't know where the shuttle that goes from the valley to Tuolumne Meadows stops along the way or if it does at all.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Shuttle will stop anywhere you tell the driver to.
Long day hike but do-able, (snow may be a factor though) - do not miss the arch.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There is a free Tuolumne Shuttle Service, but only goes till Olmsted Point.
The only option available is the following: http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_ ... adows.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope you planning to do this hike in July or later.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

I plan on doing this in August. 12 miles is ok, especially if it's mostly downhill. Thanks.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

To clarify the post from Maverick...if you are taking the bus back to Yosemite Valley, Porcupine Creek/Flat is before Olmstead point...and before the trail the Lukens Lake. On our website there's a post about the hike we did as a day-hike, from Porcupine Flat to North Dome and back...and we met a few people who were hiking this as a shuttle hike to or from the Valley.

And yes--that arch is wonderful, as is the view from near the arch of the Clark Range.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You want either the hiker bus or YARTS. I would call and make sure the one you select will stop on demand before reserving a spot (the hiker bus) or showing up (YARTS doesn't take reservations). Or find a friendly person to drop you off.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are two ways to get to the Valley from Porcupine Creek via North Dome. I assume you meant to continue from North Dome to the Yosemite Falls trail. You can also go back up the trail and take the trail to Snow Creek to descend. Tioga Road may not be open. In that case why not consider the North Rim Traverse from the Valley? You can either start at Camp 4 and go up the Yosemite Falls trail (clockwise) or start at the Mirror Lake trail and go up Snow Creek Trail (counter-clockwise). I have done it as a long day-hike and a 2.5-day snowshoe in winter. There is camping on Snow Creek and Yosemite Creek. If you are willing to carry water a little bit, there is drop-dead scenic camping on the buttress just before Snow Creek goes off the edge and camping on sandy benches above Yosemite Point. In mid-June this year you will hit snow in the upper part of the traverse so need to be good at navigation because the trail is not evident and it is easy to get lost up there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD wrote "Tioga Road may not be open".
OP wrote that they intend to do the trip August, Tioga will be open easily by then, and
snow will also not be an issue.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

My plan would be to camp in the valley somewhere, take one of the shuttles or Yart bus to the Porcupine Creek trailhead (I think that's what it's called), hike to North Dome, then to Yosemite Falls and back into the valley...in one day. 12 miles relatively downhill shouldn't be much of a problem.

On another note... if I have a wilderness permit for a given trailhead on a Friday and have it marked as 2 days in the wilderness but change my mind and decide to do two day hikes instead (Friday and Saturday), can I use the wilderness permit to camp in the backpacker's campground in the Valley on the Friday night?