South Dragon Pass, Stocking Lake area info?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

South Dragon Pass, Stocking Lake area info?

Post by fishmonger »

I'm trying to put together my own variant of a Sierra High Route and found a few bits of info on passes that would keep my route off the JMT in some areas where it's hard to avoid that trail. One is a possible bypass of Glen Pass down to Onion Valley - there's some info to be found about North Dragon Pass (and what I found didn't sound very inviting), but I can't find much about the southern pass that connects Rae Lakes via Dragon Lake and some high lakes to the east side and down to Golden Trout lakes, bypassing the bighorns sheep restricted area as well. The pass I am talking about is map center here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=15&t=t2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea is to head down to Onion valley for a resuppy, and then via University Pass into Center Basin and on to Junction Pass.

Also, further north I've been contemplating this bypass of the Woods Creek area: Leave the JMT and head towards Sawmill Pass, but just before the pass head south to Stocking Lake and up a chute to the saddle east of Acrodectes Peak. It's the one map center:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=15&t=t2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've found some Bob Burd images from a traverse and then south west descent of that saddle, but no images or info on the north side. Anyone ever been to Stocking Lake? Any view of that north flank of Acrodectes with the eastern saddle would be helpful.
Last edited by fishmonger on Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: South Dragon Pass, Stockin Lake area info?

Post by John Dittli »

skied through Acrodectes Pass some years ago, I'll see if I can wrangle up some photos.

jd
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: South Dragon Pass, Stocking Lake area info?

Post by maverick »

Hi Fish

Your talking about Gould Pass, which is just south of Dragon, and leads to GTL.
NDP and GP are both difficult with nasty, steep, and loose rock, but if you have to
choose on then GP is the lesser of the two evil's.
From Dragon Lake head south towards the small lakes below Gould Pass, and Dragon
Peak.
It is slow going since your going to have to mostly boulder hop your way from Dragon
Lake.
As you get near the highest of the 3 lakes, skirt its northern end head east where you'll
see two talus slopes heading up, take the southern one, head up the steep, loose chute
towards the top of the pass where you'll find a wooden post, if it's still there.
I remember trying to stay as close as possible to walls to avoid the slipping and
sliding in the scree and talus quicksand mix.
Head southeast down from the pass, and then descend the chute to the northwestern
end to Golden Trout Lake.
Haven't been to Stocking Lake, but from the map it definitely looks doable.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

good info and doesn't sound as bad as NDP. I've seen it referred to as SDP, but you are clearly talking about the same pass. We'll have to judge conditions when we get up there, since this is not a route to be caught in bad weather on. The Glen Pass trail is longer, but being a trail it may be faster. Thing is, I've done that pass more than a dozen times and want to see something new.

scree and talus aren't fun, but that's the price you pay for being different and seeing something few ever see. University Pass south of Onion Valley is very similar to your description of GP, and I've seen many photos from both sides. I've seen worse.

how about the south flank of Junction Pass? Heard is is all eroded on the way down and also a slip-slide affair. Gotta sharpen up those hiking poles and tighten the gaiters :unibrow:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fishmonger wrote "how about the south flank of Junction Pass? Heard is is all eroded
on the way down and also a slip-slide affair."
Sure ain't the like the other JMT section now unmaintained(Cartridge Pass).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

The only slide I have of Acrodeetes is of my partner kicking steps down the north side. Anyway, I recall it being steep snow, no cliff bands.
Regarding the south side of Junction Pass; I did follow that vague trail alignment from the jct w/Shepherd Pass up several hundred feet. Some brush and washouts, then it disappeared into a vast scree slope.

Good trail from the pass down to Center Basin.

JD
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

My mistake, I did have a shot from the north side. It's pretty snowy (April '82) but you can get an idea
Scan-110520-0001.jpg
jd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

another route you might consider is the east Rixford Col. Again, I've only been over it in snow, steep on the north but we skinned right up it.
Scan-110521-0001.jpg
Good luck

jd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

thanks for looking these up. The Rixford alternate may come in handy if the other pass proves to be too loose for comfort. Won't have to retreat all the way to Rae Lakes right away.

If we do these passes it will be in early August, so probably only a few snow patches left.