Mineral King Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King Loop

Post by sparky »

When I was in this area, I went from little 5 to big 5 lakes via an easy pass. Once at the top, there was a nice view of big 5. From there I contoured around to a pass between big 5 and spring lake. The view of upper cliff creek is nice from there. Might be better from sawtooth or blackrock though. The descent to spring was steep, fairly solid, and extremely scenic. Short section of exposed but easy class 3 at the top but I may not have taken the best way down. This is just from memory so Pm me if you are interested in doing this instead of blackrock, and I can get out maps, get more specific with pictures and whatnot.

I very much enjoyed this section and recommend it, but it is strenuous
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Isn't that called Pant's Pass?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

No, that pass leads from 9 lakes to kern kaweah drainage. In peaks passes trails It is called cyclamen lake pass, hands and knees pass, or bunny ear s pass. but didn't realize that when I posted.....so it is the same pass as referred to by a poster above, only instead connecting big5 with spring lake. I have seen this route described on the internet, probably better than I can remember. I remember it was easy, enjoyable, but strenuous.

I originally wanted to make it to cyclamen and columbine, but it looked to be out of my comfort zone for quite a ways.

Beautiful area though and unique!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Hands & Knees!!! That's it. When I was sitting down there at Spring looking up at that pass I envisioned going up or coming down on hands and knees (or the seat of my pants, which is where I got confused.) We came over Black Rock and then out via Glacier. No problem in 2009. BTW, we had gear-eating deer at Spring Lk. Apparently, they like to munch on anything that has salt from your sweat on it - hiking pole handles, backpacks, sboots, you name it. One of our party was chasing them off all night. Me - I slept thru it all. Beautiful spot, though. :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

IMO neither Cyclamen Lake Pass nor Bilko Pass, which is the pass just east of Peak
11,760 while Cyclamen Lake Pass is north of it, should not be attempted by someone
without any cross-country pass experience.
Both are very steep, and CLP has a lot talus, and nasty slabs, while Bilko is a bit easier.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Sierra Maclure wrote: BTW, we had gear-eating deer at Spring Lk. Apparently, they like to munch on anything that has salt from your sweat on it - hiking pole handles, backpacks, sboots, you name it. One of our party was chasing them off all night. Me - I slept thru it all.
That reminds me so much of mountain goats, who are notorious salt cravers and have literally eaten my socks before in trips to the Olympics in Washington and the Seven Devils in Idaho. I don't think their range extends to the Sierras, though, or I might wonder how awake your friends were!
mkosel
Topix Newbie

Post by mkosel »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:
mkosel wrote:Here's an alternate loop that I found. it is a day longer than I wanted ...does anyone have a shortcut?
Day 1) Mineral King -->Sawtooth --> Columbine Lake (6.8 miles)
Day 2) Lost Canyon --> Big/little five lakes -->big arroyo creek (11.6miles)
Day 3) High sierra trail --> Moraine Lake (8.1 miles)
Day 4) Funston creek--> Upper Funston Meadow -->Rattlesnake point --Forester Lake (16.5 miles)
Day 5) Franklin pass -->franklin lakes -->mineral King (10.9 miles)

Well I do hope you find an alternative, because the above is pretty insane. Moraine Lake to Forester Lake in a day?
Oops, you're right that was pretty insane.... i mistyped. Here is what I should have typed: ( I still think that day 4 is long but not super insane like before)

Day 4 Moraine lake -->rattlesnake point
Day 5 Rattlesname point --> forester lake
Day 6 Forrester lake -->Franklin Pass/lakes-->MK trail head

I may go back to the classic MK loop which is a bit less ambitious.
Day 1 MK Trail head--> timber gap -->pinto Lake (I've tried to avoid this in the past as I've heard it is not super pretty)
Day 2 Pinto lake --> blackrock pass --> little 5 lakes
Day 3 Little 5 -->big 5 -->lost canyon -->columbine lake
Day 4 columbine --> sawtooth -->MK trail head

Everyone in this forum has been great! I really appreciate your help.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I took my 9yo over Sawtooth pass from Monarch L. 2 times in 1991 and he found it easy and loved it. Maybe it's just that Mike was a special person.

As I alluded to, avoiding Timber Gap should save one day of slogging on a trail. This of course is coming from "Cross Country".

I apologize for using this photo multiple times, but it seems to me appropriate here. This is Mike, with Glacier Pass in the background. Both of us found this pass ,from the North side, interesting and fun (a nine year old and me!). Obviously with snow on the pass, I'm no expert.

tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.