few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SEKI)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SEKI)

Post by maverick »

Guyd wrote "additional question: I understand that the elevation gain up to Upper
Paradise is roughly 1900', but is the trail without long sloped surface where ones
(my wife) could fear of sliding down?"
No, the trail is well constructed, a little rocky as one get closer to LPV, but all in all
a very easy trail technically.
Besides the mosquites, also keep an eye out for rattlers which I have seen a few times
on my way into PV.
Also keep a very clean camp, bears are a major issue in all of PV!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I did the loop about three years ago starting at Onion Valley from the east side, with the second night at Lower Paradise Valley CG, didn't think much of the Middle Paradise Valley CG. The Lower was the nicest although it had the most bpers. Upper had a few people. There was also a bear about at the Lower during the day, I never saw it, too many easy pickings I guess. Slobs there, some young guys left their fire smoldering, I had to dunk a limb in the creek. I also fished some, caught a few c & r.
Piece of cake.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife and I stayed a couple of night in Lower Paradise last June. The best sites are to the right nearest the river. We stayed at one are the far end of the campground by the river. There was definitely room for 3 tents there. We were on our way to Middle Paradise, but saw this site as we were walking through and decided to stay. The next day we dayhiking beyond Upper Paradise. There was no one at Middle Paradise (the best site seemed to be the first one on the left) and one party at Upper Paradise. I expect on July 2 you will see a lot more people. The river access is not as good at Middle Paradise compared to Lower and Upper, but this year swimming in the river at Lower Paradise the first week of July may not be a good idea anyway. The best swimming is at Upper Paradise. The other times I've been through in August and September, Middle Paradise was empty even late in the afternoon on two occasions. As others mentioned, bears are a big problem in Paradise Valley. We had a good time while we were sitting by the river watching one directly across on the other side.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by guyd »

Thanks LMBSGV and all.
Would you have any pictures of the campsites that you could send...?