few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SEKI)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SEKI)

Post by guyd »

Hi,

I've got a one-night permit for Woods Creek on July 2 for five (with three tents).

- July 2 being a Saturday, any idea at what time we should manage to arrive at the designated Lower (or Middle) Paradise Valley campsites to be able to pitch our three tents...?

- Somebody told me there was no easy water access at the Middle Paradise Valley campsites... Is that true?

- Is that true that individual tentsites are numbered at Lower (or Middle) Paradise Valley ?

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SIKE)

Post by maverick »

Hi Guyd

Here is some info on Paradise Valley: http://www.backpacker.com/october-2010- ... ions/14735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guyd wrote "July 2 being a Saturday, any idea at what time we should manage to arrive
at the designated Lower (or Middle) Paradise Valley campsites to be able to pitch our
three tents...?"
You do not get assigned a campsite, you camp in any designated campsite that is
available when you get there.
When getting a permit at Roads End just get a permit for Paradise Valley.

Guyd wrote "- Somebody told me there was no easy water access at the Middle Paradise
Valley campsites... Is that true?
Woods Creek is near by it is no big deal, and if you have the energy go to Upper Paradise
which IMO is easily the best of the three camping areas in Paradise Valley.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Re: few questions on Lower Paradise Valley site (SEKI)

Post by guyd »

guyd wrote:July 2 being a Saturday, any idea at what time we should manage to arrive at the designated Lower (or Middle) Paradise Valley campsites to be able to pitch our three tents...?
I meant at what typical time should we expect to find the Lower and/or Middle Paradise sites already full on that Holiday week-end? 3PM...? 1PM...? 11AM..?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Guyd wrote "I meant at what typical time should we expect to find the Lower and/or
Middle Paradise sites already full on that Holiday week-end? 3PM...? 1PM...? 11AM..?"

To many variables, a lot of folks doing the Rae Lakes Loop use Paradise as there first
night stop, though this year Glen Pass will scare a lot of folks to going it later in the
season.
Since the high country will have snow some folks will be content on staying low, so
the earlier you get there the better.
I would try to time it so I would be one of the first in line when it opens at Roads End
especially with 3 tents.
Also getting there early is a good thing since your only going in for one night, you
want some down time, and some time to look around.
Of coarse after writing all this, you may not have a lot of folks to worry about, but
not one really knows, as I started out, there are just to many variables with a
holiday, and the heavy snow year.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

For my understanding, are there a certain pre-determined amount of tent spots at those Lower and Middle sites (and if Yes, how many), or is it as many tents that can fit?
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

additional question: I understand that the elevation gain up to Upper Paradise is roughly 1900', but is the trail without long slopedsurface where ones (my wife) could fear of sliding down?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There are no restrictions in the SEKI regulations on how many tents can be erected in
a campsite, so yes, if your 3 tents fit, go for it.
I have never camped at either lower or middle Paradise, all ways upper, and some
campsite are larger than others, so finding one large enough should not be an issue.
I have seen more than 3 tents in some areas.
If still in doubt just call the ranger station to get clarification before your trip.

SEKI REGULATIONS:

The Rae Lakes Loop is one of the most popular hikes in Sequoia and Kings Canyon, if not in the entire Sierra. If you are planning to do this hike during the summer, it is wise to make reservations, as trailhead quotas often fill up. Wilderness permits for the Rae Lakes Loop are issued at the Roads End station, 5.5 miles beyond Cedar Grove. Even if you have a reservation, you must still check in and pick up your permit prior to starting your trip.

The loop is 46 miles long, and climbs from 5035' (1535m) at the trailhead to 11,978' (3651m) at Glen Pass. High water at stream crossings can be a problem in May and early June. Glen Pass may be impassable to hikers until mid-late July and for horse use even later. Because this is such a popular hike, there are certain restrictions along this trail:

* Camping in Paradise Valley is permitted only in designated campsites. If no sites are available, you will have to move on to the next area.
* Camping in Paradise Valley is limited to two nights.
* Camping at Rae Lakes is limited to two nights per lake.
* Camping at Charlotte Lake is limited to two nights.
* Bullfrog Lake, east of the trail between Vidette Meadow and Glen Pass, is closed to all camping, grazing and stock travel.
* There is a two night camping limit at Kearsarge Lakes (east of Bullfrog).
* Campfires are prohibited above 10,000' (3048m).
* Bears have been very active along this trail, and were successful at getting food that was hung in trees. Hikers are required to carry portable bear-resistant canisters which are available for sale or rent at several locations in the parks, or from US Forest Service offices located in Lone Pine and Bishop. This has proved very successful at preventing bears from accessing food. (The permanent metal food-storage boxes are for use by thru-hikers on the PCT and JMT only.

Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I understand that the elevation gain up to Upper Paradise is roughly 1900', but is the trail without long slopedsurface where ones (my wife) could fear of sliding down?
We, wife 'n I, came down it two years ago...early on, it is steep...once u start the climb, but it is a well maintained park trail....one shouldn't fear sliding. However,....that being said, going up is not a picnic. Trail is rocky, steep in sections and unless u r young and in good shape, not designed for top speeds. As Mav stated, get in line early, or pick up pass day before and head out at first light. IMO...we were heading down, the farther up valley u get the more places u have to drop pack/pitch tent. Lower down, flat spots limited. Water wasn't an issue, as memory recalls. Our last nite there...somewhere just below cut off to Woods Creek...we were so beat we found a hospital lone neighbor and pitched about 50 yds from her.....much closer than we've ever camped to anyone in 7 years of backpacking....but sites were limited and there's just not a lot to chose from in that whole area. To be sure, the area was large enough for a boy scout troop, but I'm not into neighbors....except the one sleeping next to me.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Middle (near upper) PV has no (to the best of my knowledge) such restrictions and (in my opinion) it's a better place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

The trail is well constructed and well maintained -- easy class 1 all the way. The first mile is a gentle valley hike alongside the river. The next mile starts where the south fork of the King's River and Bubbs Creek converge; it follows gentle terrain alongside the creekside for a half mile, then climbs steeply to beautiful Mist Falls. From Mist Falls, the trail climbs steadily for about a mile, gaining almost 900 feet, before reaching gentle terrain at the lower end of Paradise Valley. From here to the junction with Wood's Creek the trail gently gains another 300 feet in elevation.

Expect many dayhikers on the trail until you reach Mist Falls. And come prepared for skeeters!!

Enjoy!

Mike