Trips On My Short List

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Buck Forester wrote:...Goddard Creek Canyon trip. I SO BAD want to go over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin and drop into Le Conte Canyon and cut over near Muir Pass to Ionian Basin and down the Enchanted Gorge and back up via Goddard Creek Canyon and then back out either going down Goddard Creek to S.F. San Joaquin to Florence, or back via Muir Pass down to Evolution Basin/Valley and out to Florence
I have already been over Bishop Pass and into LeConte Canyon twice (one of my favorite areas) as well as over Muir Pass. Ionian Basin looks OK and I would not mind a look, but you can have (dis-)Enchanted Gorge. Everybody I have talked to that has done it has pretty much said it was an "OK, I did it" thing, but not much of a special thing. Also, you almost have to count on a certain iffy snow bridge being in place, or certain times of the year it is near impossible to do.
I would much rather, say, go over Hell-For Sure Pass and head for that canyon head lake, then maybe back over Cathedral Lake Pass or maybe over Finger Pass to Mantle Pass.
Just came back from the Sierra for a look. Boy, lots of snow right down to 6500 feet in places, and all of the res's already full and overflowing. More info and maybe pictures later....
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yes, I remember our "Ionian Basin" trip back in the 70's -- what we really did was go in over Bishop/Dusy (got sick -- been there twice, altitude sick both times, yuck), LeConte Cyn, Muir Pass, and then climbed ... um ... Mt. Solomons I think (class 2) for a look down into the Basin. I think that's as close as I need to get, but it sure was a nice view! Then we climbed out over Lamarck Col -- that was awful (I posted something about this on the "worst pass" thread a while back). Overall a great trip, though!

It sounded like folks were talking about a way to get into Sixty Lakes Basin from the Charlotte Lake area. How do you do that? Sounds like it might be a reasonable detour on my next JMT journey (should that ever happen...).
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

BSquared wrote:It sounded like folks were talking about a way to get into Sixty Lakes Basin from the Charlotte Lake area. How do you do that? Sounds like it might be a reasonable detour on my next JMT journey (should that ever happen...).
Not Quite. I believe we were talking about Gardiner Basin, for which there is an old unmaintained trail from Charlotte Lake. For 60 Lakes Basin from Charlotte Lake, you might as well go over Glen Pass and X-C from the bench below the pass or take the trail near the lake.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

BSquared wrote:It sounded like folks were talking about a way to get into Sixty Lakes Basin from the Charlotte Lake area. How do you do that? Sounds like it might be a reasonable detour on my next JMT journey (should that ever happen...).
Oops, sorry I was completely turned around. What I meant was a way to get into Sixty Lakes Basin from the north, coming up the JMT from Woods Creek. There's no trail on the map, but from the topo it looks like it might be doable from Dollar or Arrow Lake. Anybody done this?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote: Oops, sorry I was completely turned around. What I meant was a way to get into Sixty Lakes Basin from the north, coming up the JMT from Woods Creek. There's no trail on the map, but from the topo it looks like it might be doable from Dollar or Arrow Lake. Anybody done this?
Haven't done this personally, but I believe Secor's book mentions it as class 1. There are two more routes into/out of 60 lakes basin you may be interested in, the trail and Rae Col (which is on the south end and can connect up to the JMT below glen pass). The trail is relatively easy, Rae col is class 2 and hardest on the north side which is a narrow chute of loose sand and talus.