Giving Out Route Info On HST - Members Responses Requested

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Giving Out Route Info On HST - Members Responses Requested

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote "I will post what I want to post to those that give me background info".
And that is what this is about, giving us the back ground info from the start.

Rlown wrote "It's a pretty free country".
Where is this coming from, I do not mention anything about censorship, or taking
away one's right to free speech?
I served 6 years to up hold those rights!

Anyways, since most folks are deciding to read rather than participate, and
since the "suggestions for requesting trip advice" thread is all ready embedded into all
registration emails, which I just found out, I really think that folks coming aboard have
all ready been given the choice to give us this info, if they took the time to read it this
discussion would not be taking place, but many do not.
So staying with the current mode, in which we will just have to be diligent in directing
the new member to the "suggestions for requesting trip advice" from the start, will
make things go smoother for the new members, and current members in the future.
Thank you to those who took the time to give there input on the subject.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Would someone post here and lie to try to pry info from vets who otherwise wouldn't give that information to a newbie? I seriously doubt, and if it did happen, and someone ended up in a bad way, that is not on your hands.

Saying that....it is a different world now, and the sum of human knowledge on your smartphone sure puts a twist on things. More and more people are going to get themselves into sticky situations because of it, and that is just the universe playing itself out =D>
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

I support what you have suggested here. It is a little scary to read a post from someone who obviously has little experience and that is planning to do big things. It shouldn't surprise us that these people are out there, as we all live in a culture that celebrates hyperbole and the "EXTREME." Look at the Bear Gryllis TV show. If that doesn't encourage idiots to get out in woods, I don't know what does.

This is the only forum I participate in online. Why? Because the people here are experienced and know what they are talking about. I used to post in the fishsniffer, but after a while, the audience changed and I became worried that the info I was posting could be misused in the wrong hands. I appreciate the good work the moderators do here.