Giving Out Route Info On HST - Members Responses Requested

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Giving Out Route Info On HST - Members Responses Requested

Post by maverick »

Eric wanted me to run this by you to see what you thought of this, and then have
a vote.

I would like to know how you all feel about enforcing the policy of getting new members
to read the "SUGGESTIONS FOR REQUESTING TRIP ADVICE" announcement, by requesting
them to do so politely, and getting our current members not to post suggestions,
especially on cross country routes, that could endanger an inexperienced backpacker
until the newbie posts there experience accordingly, also by putting any posts that
come up after the request (by a moderator) to the newbie, on hold, and then request
the poster to wait till the info is been given.
Not only would we be distinguishing ourselves from other sites that just give out folks
any kind of information, no matter what there experience level is, but we would be
showing that we care about the well being/safety of our members here at HST!
IMO this would say a lot about HST, and would make us stand above the rest even
more, and with such distinction, and professionalism, it would increase our membership
even more.
It would alleviate a lot of frustration for example when a new member asks for info on
a difficult route, and then 7-8 posts in, you find out for example that the OP considers
there climb up Clouds Rest a difficult class 2 climb or backpacking to Echo Lake gives
them the experience to do the SHT.
These actions by the mod/admin would be done politely, and would catch on quickly
after intervening just a few times.
Would you be in favor of such actions to ensure our members safety, or do you consider
qualifying new members, holding off with route info until they give us some of there
backpacking experience, and not allowing answers to these posts till this info has been
supplied "communistic"?
Would you be in support of these actions or not?
Please post your replies.
Thank You
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Giving Out Route Info On HST - Members Responses Requested

Post by rlown »

I'd be in support of that if we could just have a standard boiler plate intro across both the fishing hole and backpacking forums, outlining back country experience or desires. Seems if we can force someone in the BP forum to read that entry, we can request an intro.

Russ
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Talk is cheap. People exaggerate and lie all the time on the internet. I do not know how you avoid that. I think better if OUR replies are accurate and indicate the difficulty and OUR experience. We should error on the cautious side and avoid loose descriptions such as "easy" or "difficult".. Be specific - such as, "steep, 40-degree snow, poor run-out, crampons needed." And when we say "class 2" we need to define it. I think the expierience of those who ask does finally get out as the post goes along. And yes, we should ask the person who posts to follow the rules of posting a question. Now that I think about it, I have never done that -put my qualifications out there when I ask a question! Shame on me!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD wrote "People exaggerate and lie all the time on the internet."
A liar will be a liar, and there only fooling themselves in the long run.
We cannot control or avoid that, but the folks who do come aboard and are keeping
it real deserves the same in return IMO.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Fine with me and worth a try. Come up with something and then let members discuss and tweak the result.

I've always been dismayed at the way many new visitors on web boards ask questions of all manner, not just about backpacking. Typical questions are far too simple without explanation. Like a person asking a question has some narrow intent and doesn't seem to be aware of how broadly their question will be interpretted by their audience. Like they haven't bothered to consider the importance of qualifying their question enough to get the kind of responses they are interested in. Sometimes a beginner person's knowledge in a particular area is just so basic they aren't able to pose a reasonable question but more often people haven't bothered to consider what to ask and just blurt something simple out. Also I suspect some novices that ask questions tend to be embarassed about their lack of experience and would prefer to have to sift through answers without making much input.

For example to a camera board a newbie asks "what digital camera should I buy?" On a national hiking web board a person on the East Coast thinking in terms of some advice for hiking locally asks a national web audience "What's a good place to go hiking? We can do 20 miles." Such examples are endless.

On the other side of the coin, a modest amount of advice by web members on hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering boards is mediocre or dangerous without reasonable consideration for the capabilities of the person asking. People tend to like giving advice to others about places they have hiked or backpacked from the perspective of their own styles regardless of how such fits another person's question.

For example an enthusiastic ultralight backpacker giving general advice with far too much mileage and vertical for a question from a person that did not specify their style. Or an accomplished peak bagger describing a route over a class 3 col to a general question from a person with unknown skills as "easy".
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I'd support the idea. Perhaps the info could be "required reading" for registration. That way, the "polite" reminder would just be a given, no need to explain each time as it could be easy to overlook the notice as it exist today.

Somehow (can't really explain how) the message does convey a sense of community here rather than just another message board. :thumbsup:
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

I think Daisy has the better idea.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I think you guys are doing a great job as is, a general message accurately describing the dangers of cross country travel wouldnt hurt at all.

At the end of the day we are all adults and are responsible for ourselves.

Also we all relate to the world using our own personal reality tunnel. Don't expect anyone to share your sensibilities, but rejoice when they do.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

sparky wrote:I think you guys are doing a great job as is, a general message accurately describing the dangers of cross country travel wouldnt hurt at all.

At the end of the day we are all adults and are responsible for ourselves.

Also we all relate to the world using our own personal reality tunnel. Don't expect anyone to share your sensibilities, but rejoice when they do.
Well said Sparky.

I have only been bumping around this site for about 5 months, but I have gained a deep respect for many of the people who regularly post to these boards. But everyones different. In my professional endeavors, I have been involved in employee reviews that included reviewing self-evaluations. It always amazed me at the wide range of responses. Very compentent workers who gave themselves middle marks and indicated they had room for improvement to inexpeirenced workers who gave themselves the highest grades. Were they bad workers? Maybe and maybe not, just new to what they were doing. What do you do? The old saying says you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make em drink.

I think you guys already do a very good job of trying to educate folks about backpacking and the inherent risks, but as Sparky so wisely noted, "At the end of the day we are all adults and are responsible for ourselves." I'm sure SAR gets lots of noobs that made mistakes, but expeirenced hikers get in trouble as well such as the SEKI ranger who died in the wilderness.

Keep up the good work guys and please note that most of us are taking the advice given.

PS. I dont think the OP who asked about Alpine Col was being argumentive. OP asked, you guys responded, and the OP acknowledged the advice. Seems like the current approach worked to me. Again, keep up the good work!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Eric wanted me to run this by you to see what you thought of this, and then have
a vote.

I would like to know how you all feel about enforcing the policy of getting new members
to read the "SUGGESTIONS FOR REQUESTING TRIP ADVICE" announcement, by requesting
them to do so politely, and getting our current members not to post suggestions,
especially on cross country routes, that could endanger an inexperienced backpacker
until the newbie posts there experience accordingly, also by putting any posts that
come up after the request (by a moderator) to the newbie, on hold, and then request
the poster to wait till the info is been given.
Ok, so I changed my mind based on some stuff that WD said. "people lie". No boiler plate. You're putting a LOT of emphasis on Moderator in your request. I think you can ask for more info, but If you gain a login, then it becomes a human interaction, and not about being a Moderator. Most don't read the pinned items, unless pointed to them, which is natural. Anyone can post any question or any answer they want. It's a pretty free country, unless they violate the HST guidelines.

I will post what I want to post to those that give me background info, even if iterative. Mav, even you have. I don't think we're putting anyone in danger by the subsequent dialog in the threads. At least some ask, and heed.

Respectfully,

Russ