I wanna run this route by some experts

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
manbartz
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: I wanna run this route by some experts

Post by manbartz »

I understand your concerns and will most likely just skip alpine col and head down darwin bench to the jmt.

Just for clarity.... there was about 90%-95% snow coverage in those sections of yosemite. So are you questioning my judgement or strictly my navigational skills? Not offended at all just wonderig what you would have done in my position so I don't make the same mistake again. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Manbartz wrote "So are you questioning my judgement or strictly my navigational skills?".

Both.
You did not listen to your instincts, as you put it, but listened to your egos, which could
be a major reason for getting yourselves into trouble down the line if you don't check it
at the trailhead.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Navigational skills take years to perfect and you are young. You made a typical mistake that those with only a few years experience make, particularly if you have not traveled over snow a lot. Prior to last year, the Sierra was dry and given when you started backpacking, you just have not had much of a chance to learn snow skills. Navigating in snow also involves "reading" snow and micro-route finding. I have been over that same country in very similar conditions, but going the other direction. You can easily get a bit off route but not really lost - after all the terrain is quite distinct- huge canyons on either side of a ridge. And we also slogged through thigh deep snow! There are points on the route, deep in the forest, that are very difficut to navigate with the trail burried in snow. You simply lacked enough expeierence in various snow conditions to realize the toll that type of travel takes on your travel time.

Judgement is also a skill that gets better with age and more years of backpacking. I would not say your judgement was anything I would not expect given your age, experience and ego factors of two young men! You made a mistake, suffered the consequences, and now know better not to do that again. You at least realized it was a mistake - and freely admited it. That is how you learn.

SOooo... now you ask us for advise. That is good! I have read a lot of internet trip reports and even ones from Backpacker Magazine. A lot of them sandbag the routes and do not say enough about the potential dangers. "Epics" sell in the media. I personally want a well planned trip with 99% enjoyment and awe and 1% "epic". You can have plenty of "awe" without "epic". Beware of what you read in the media about any route. Save Alpine Col for later. Either the Yosemite trip or the North Lake loop (not using Apline Col, but the trail) would be fine mountain experiences. Have fun and stay safe. I suggest also, that if this is your trip , let it be known that YOU are the leader. If it is time to stop or there are disagreements on route of whatever, exert your leadership. WHen the going gets tough, it is good to have a designated leader. That does not mean you do not listen to others, but the buck stops at you.

Also, I will be waiting for a trip report, with pictures!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By the way, the question is not what I would have done, but what would YOU do now that you have been through that experience. I do not give 20/20 hindsight advise on what I would have done- I was not there and am now tainted by facts that you did not know at the time.
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

Definitely will bring back a grip of photos.
In all honesty, I saw the idea for this hike in a backpacker magazine(titled better than national parks) recognized the name lamarck col, and realized I saw that name on a thread on hst.com. figured that because it was featured in backpacker, it was geared towards someone like me. Was I ever wrong?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

um, just Hike your own Hike. It's really nice to bounce ideas off of people here, but If you plan your route, as thousands do every year who are not HST members, then do it, and do it carefully. You know it's a high snow year. You probably know your groups limitations. And you probably have a plan B, and an exit strategy. Go with it.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I think listening to WD and Maverick, and thinking about their comments, would be a good idea. If you are not prepared mentally, there could be serious problems. This is reminding me of the other x-country string...

Looking at a map and being there are two vastly different things. Like what has been said somewhere previously, sometimes a route that looks easy on a map can be dangerous if you don't know the country.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't listen to the HST sages. At some point, your choice becomes your responsibility, esp if you're a group leader. If you're "group hiking" or even solo, if it's not good, back off. In a group, if one has any kind of trepidation, you abort rather than push on. Pretty much common sense.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote "Pretty much common sense."

Yeah, which not all folks have Rlown.
How many times have you heard of folks getting into trouble because they "just had to
summit" or "we thought we were going the right way" after SAR brought them out.

Rlown wrote "If you're "group hiking" or even solo, if it's not good, back off. In a group, if
one has any kind of trepidation, you abort rather than push on."

Some guys when hiking together have something to prove to one another, and when that
machismo side kicks in, were talking ego city here, they will make rather irrational
decisions, and push themselves beyond there comfort levels.
I am not saying everyone is like this, and some who fell into this category may have had an
experience that put there ego in check some where down the line, or for most, age/maturity
finally kicks in.

Rlown wrote "I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't listen to the HST sages."

Of coarse we cannot make folks listen to us, but we can take pride in trying to give
valuable information that may come in handy out on the trail, or make a person rethink
there decision by looking at it from a different angle that they may not see.
We have rangers here who have invaluable amount of experience in the back country, and
many folks who have been visiting the back country since the 60's-70's.

You have mention numerous times that folks need to start some where, and that is
true.
When your young, a good boy scout group, later on, trips with the Sierra Club, or local
hiking clubs can be a good source to gain experience, and confidence.
IMO though, the best, is to go out with someone who is experienced, and you trust, to
show you the ropes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

Trust me im listening.

Okay so I lack experience. Ill admit that. I would love to go deep into the sierra with an expert.

So what are you guys doing this summer?