MSR Sweetwater filter question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

MSR Sweetwater filter question

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I just pulled out my MSR filter to clean and inspect and came across a crack on the interior of the filter. Looking in the literature and online I can't find anything that specifically says the filter is now compromised. Any experts here have some knowledge on the subject? Should I be looking for a replacement cartridge or is this nothing more than normal wear and tear? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: MSR Sweetwater filter question

Post by The Other Tom »

The value of a filter is the very small pores that, well, filter out stuff. When you have a crack, you effectively have a big pore that would be much less efficient filtering out stuff. In other words, I'd say it's toast.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ditto. how old is the filter?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You can get a filter replacement for around $44, or use it as a reason to get another
one.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Thanks, all. I figured that was the case...just didn't want to spend the $44 on a new filter if I didn't have to.

Rlown, I bought the filter in 2004 after my old filter finally let me down and I contracted Giardia. It hasn't seen heavy use so I thought I'd get more time out of it.

Guess I know what that $50 REI card headed my way is going towards. #-o
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

2004.. filter had a great run. get a new one.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Having it that long is a very good run! Last year I started out with a new filter and it only lasted 18 days before it would not pump any more. And that was all in clean water. It was the one that came with the whole rig so I think I got ripped off.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Are sure what you're looking at is cracks? I ask because the Sweetwater uses an ablative-type filter, that is, as one cleans the filter, parts of the filter are actually removed by the brush, leaving a new interior surface. If you've cleaned your filter recently with the brush, then probably what you're looking at are actually cracks, and you need to replace the filter. But if cleaning it with the brush makes it look uniformly white again, it may just be that the innermost layer of filter material was cracking and flaking off. But I agree with others that the filter doesn't owe you much after all the use you've got out of it!
—B²
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

BSquared, it is a crack. I noticed it after I cleaned it. I can move it with my finger and see that it's a few mm deep. Thanks for the advice!