A question for George....

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

A question for George....

Post by ndwoods »

Just wondering when you hit the high country? Not curious for any other reason than wishin it was me!:) I'm sure the absence of your posts will have us all drooling!!! My first trip of the season is Memorial Day then I have another short trip mid-late July then the JMT end of Aug. I have however gotten out for 3-4 multi mile trail rides on my horse every week...the wildflowers here along the coast are stunning right now!!!! :)
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member

A cubie of one's own

Post by gdurkee »

No, given up the backcountry for a small cubicle in silicon valley. Two hour commute every morning in a Ford Pinto with the tailpipe held on by bailing wire.

Time to pursue my dream: coding is my life.

OK. Maybe not. Not off for adventure in the backcountry (Kings) until towards the end of June. I start earlier, but we hafta get trained every year. One of these years I'll get it right and will just get to go straight into the backcountry. Last year the legendary Skibum had us all out in the fog and drizzle doing stream crossing training. I volunteered to hold the throw bag. I shoulda been more gung-ho, but it was pretty darned cold that day at 7,000 feet and I am am becoming increasingly wimpy with age.

Just staring at melt rates and looking at a map figuring out how my 5' 2" wife is going to get across Evolution Creek. May end up just going over the far southern shoulder of Pavillion and drop onto Evolution Meadow. See how the melt's going though. May be OK by late June.

The JMT should be great this year after mid-July or so. Flowers should be excellent. Might see you on the way through.

Take care,

George
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

No, given up the backcountry for a small cubicle in silicon valley. Two hour commute every morning in a Ford Pinto with the tailpipe held on by bailing wire.

Time to pursue my dream: coding is my life.

You really had me for a moment. Thank goodness you were joking!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks goodness you really were kidding. Speaking of Evolution and the S. side of Pavillion dome, I'm sure you know if you go up on that side and keep going you eventually get to a lake....You do fish, I recall? Anyhow, I'll leave it at that or some folks on this board and elsewhere will strangle me. Anyhow, my wife is 5'1" and we'd go that way high water or not.

Oh well, I've had too much Buzzsaw Double IPA (It's finally been tapped!!)

Cheers,

J
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Pssst... Giantbrookie, are you referring to the lakes under Emerald Peak?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Buck Forester wrote:Pssst... Giantbrookie, are you referring to the lakes under Emerald Peak?
nope, it's singular. Also see George's comment about his detour route.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Same scenario this year George. The water is going to be super high. hopefully that spot in Lodgepole will be doable. :eek:
LarBear
Topix Novice

Post by LarBear »

The "easy" way over evolution creek is not to cross at the JMT trail crossing. There is a use trail to the right just at the crossing that goes to a camp often used by trail crews. A little further on (total around 1/2 mile from the crossing) you will see evolution meadow accross the creek. The crossing here is slow, shallow and soft.