Backpacking with our 10 and 14 year old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jbjb
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Backpacking with our 10 and 14 year old

Post by jbjb »

We want to take our 10 and 14 year old on their first backpack on the eastern side of the sierra. They haven't been over 9,000, but they have been backpacking a few times. They've generally done 5/6 miles per day on other backpacking trips. We're planning on going the first week of August. Any ideas? We were thinking of June lake from Mammoth. Do people recommend that or perhaps something else? We want them to have a good time so they get hooked, so nothing too too hard this first time. Thanks.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking with our 10 and 14 year old

Post by windknot »

Basically, keep it short, not too steep, and mostly if not all on trail. Luckily there are a lot of options on the east side which fit this criteria. I haven't hiked out of June Lake, but Bishop Creek makes just one example of a versatile trailhead with many different options for potential lakes/camps without too long of a hike.

Oh, and welcome to the board! If you do a bit of digging around here, you'll find several other threads which deal with the same topic and which can give you an idea of other things to look for when planning a first backpacking trip.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Little Lakes Valley or Cottonwood Lakes seem like good options.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

From Agnew Meadow go to Shadow and Ediza Lakes. Views of Ritter, Banner and the Minnerets will hook any first timer.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Yosemite Falls trail from 120.
All level or downhill, lots of water, big payoff camping atop the big falls, and even some good fishing possibilities too.
Leave car on 120, and when done, they can sleep in at Valley BP camp - you get up early - Yarts bus up to car, and back in Valley by 11:00.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Actually the early am bus out of the valley is not Yarts but backpacker/tour bus operated by the concessionaire. Leaves Curry at 8AM.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome Jbjb to HST!
There are some great hikes out of the Mammoth area, but one thing I would like to
ask before I can recommend anything is, how many days are you planning to be out
for?
Even better, please take time to read the "SUGGESTIONS FOR REQUESTING TRIP
ADVICE" section in the "Announcements" section above, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Depends how long a trip you want. If you are looking for the next step up from a 3 day trip then the Duck Pass to Reds Meadow loop is a great 4-5 day trip out of Mammoth with hot springs that my kids still rave about.

We did it the first week of August last year:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given the skeeters will probably be bad high up this year it might be better than Thousand Island at that time, but it's hard to tell right now.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Jbjb,

Lots of good information at this site. The Ritter Range is a must in anyones life time. I took my 9yr daughter and 11 yr old son on a day hike to Shadow Lake. It was alittle tough for them at the time, probally due to the late start.(Got very HOT)Did it again with the Boy Scouts.

For a beginner hike, 20 Lake Basin out of Saddlebag Lake, you can save a mile or two by taking the boat across, but can be $$. It is above 10,000ft level.

The others already mentioned some great trips.