Backcountry Grits

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Grits

Post by maverick »

Not whole shrimp, but season cooked shrimp in small portioned packages, just like the
tuna, chicken, and clams that are also available.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I wonder if one could make grits from sierra trout?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav, I knew what you meant. :) When you flash a recipe up calling for 2lbs of shrimp, um, well, obviously not carrying that, or all the other freshies.

JTC, no on the trout grit thing. It doesn't even sound appetizing. The trout can't stand up to it. Needs to be a secondary dish (the trout). They're always best separate and on their own merits anyway.

As much as the shrimp thing sounds nice, so does just cheese and summer sausage/salami.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

riown you're right - trout stand on their own.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

A quick grits recipe: Dash of olive oil, 2 cloves fresh garlic diced, saute for 30 seconds, add 2 cups water, and one bouillon cube, heat until cube dissolves, then add 1/2 cup 5 minute grits until boil, then simmer. Break up and add one small dried, smoked chili(your own heat preference). Simmer 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in1/4 cup parmesan(or other cheese). Turn off stove and let stand for 2 minutes. Umm umm, better than a fancy restaurant and with such a view!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

As a Southerner I feel that I am well qualified to comment on this issue. Here's some simple rules to live by.

1) Instant grits, while maybe okay for yankees during backpacking trips, are not grits. Please try the regular cooking length type first. Forewarned is forearmed.
2) White grits good. Yellow grits better. Fresh stone ground yellow grits for fancy receipes.
3) Never, and I mean never, put sugar on grits. This is a sure sign that you grew up eating cream of wheat and lived in a cold climate. Salt, pepper and butter only unless you're making shrimp etoufe and yellow grits.

:soapbox:
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

bob adams wrote:As a Southerner I feel that I am well qualified to comment on this issue. Here's some simple rules to live by.

1) Instant grits, while maybe okay for yankees during backpacking trips, are not grits. Please try the regular cooking length type first. Forewarned is forearmed.
2) White grits good. Yellow grits better. Fresh stone ground yellow grits for fancy receipes.
3) Never, and I mean never, put sugar on grits. This is a sure sign that you grew up eating cream of wheat and lived in a cold climate. Salt, pepper and butter only unless you're making shrimp etoufe and yellow grits.

:soapbox:
Thanks for setting them straight, Bob. By the way, I'm about 20 miles down I-85 from you (exit 40).
bob adams
Topix Acquainted

Post by bob adams »

Other Tom,
Well I'm just doing my part. I've eaten a lot of grits in my 60 years and I want to put these pilgrims on the true path to Southern culinary excellence. Now shall I tell them about the world's most perfect cruciferous green? ...................collards!
bob adams
Topix Acquainted

Post by bob adams »

Exit 40? Powdersville, Easley, Liberty, Pickens?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bob adams wrote:Other Tom,
Well I'm just doing my part. I've eaten a lot of grits in my 60 years and I want to put these pilgrims on the true path to Southern culinary excellence. Now shall I tell them about the world's most perfect cruciferous green? ...................collards!

unless you have dehydrated collards, what is the point?