Backcountry Grits

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Backcountry Grits

Post by The Other Tom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I get tired of "sweet" side of breakfast and find "greasy-salty" such as grits and cheese a nice relief. Instant grits pack better than hash browns.
Yes ! Another grits fan !! Way to go, Daisy. Most people outside the south don't appreciate grits.
I love 'em. :)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: something new in the supermarket

Post by rlown »

ok, WD.. for some of us not familiar with Grits, what is your "recipe"? probably not a slab of bacon in your pack, but inquiring minds.. :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"Recipe" is really too compicated to describe the process. Buy a box of instant grits (in the same aisle as cooked breakfast cereals), read the back of the box for proportion of water to grits (I hesitate to give exact measurements, because different brands may be slightly different). Boil up the proper amount of water, slowly pour in the proper amount of grits (it will be lumpy if you pour it in too fast), constantly stir. They thicken quickly. Remove from heat and add a spoonful of margarine, cubes of Pepper Jack cheese, chunks of summer sausage or jerkey, pepper (I use a chipotle seasoning) to taste. Add salt if needed. Do not salt water before cooking, because depending on the amount of cheese and sausage, it may be plenty salty. I also add nuts (almonds or peanuts). Not everyone will like nuts in grits. Stir it all, put lid on pot and let sit a few minutes. Grits are sort of like cornmeal - they really expand. A little goes a long ways. Some people first mix the grits in cold water and then add this slurry to the boiling water. This method takes two containers, and I usually only take one pot. I have had good success with simply adding grits to hot water, as long as I pour them in slowly and stir a lot.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thanks. perfect.. new breakfast..

Russ
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I love grits at home but I bought some of these last year and I didn't like them at all on the trail.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well. duh.. it's a cooking thing with grits. I know that from my Food Network affliction. I like WD's approach. sometimes you actually have to cook, and it is very refreshing.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah Hawk Vittles has some pretty good instant meals but grits are better left to proper cooking.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I also take grits, but I use them for dinner. I bring the 5 minute Quaker grits(more calories than instant). Add them to water boiled with a bouillon cube, and seasoned with garlic, salami, olive oil, a big sun dried tomato and dried herbs. Simmer for 4 minutes, then add parmesan cheese, and let stand covered for 2 minutes. Most people who have never tasted well made grits seem to be afraid of them, but if you've ever been to a fancy Italian restaurant that served polenta, well then you've tasted grits. This is an excellent high carb, backpacking food. it's super cheap, easy to find, it packs light and fills you up. I eat it the night before a challenging hike and it seems to carry over into the next day.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown,

Shrimp and grits is a classic in the south, and you can purchase vacuum packed fresh
shrimp most stores, just use all of it in one sitting once it is opened.

3/4 cup uncooked grits
6 ounces garlic flavored processed cheese, cubed
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, diced
2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt to taste

Cook grits according to package directions. Stir in cubed cheese and cayenne pepper. Keep warm over low heat.
Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and tomato until tomato begins to soften. Stir in shrimp and lemon juice. Saute until shrimp are pink. Season with salt to taste.
Spread warm grits on a serving platter and pour shrimp mixture on top.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Backcountry Grits

Post by rlown »

Thanks, Mav. I've familiar with the classic recipe. I wanted more of the back country version based on what generally carry.

I don't think I'll be carrying whole shrimp into the back country unless they start stocking sturgeon at 10,000'. Then it's called bait. ;)