I wanna run this route by some experts

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: I wanna run this route by some experts

Post by SSSdave »

Well put by Maverick "...trip takes you through some beautiful areas, but you're trying to run through it instead of savoring the experience!".

Questions might be...

Is it about the hike or the destination?

Does one have any other interests beyond the athletic challenge of simply moving down trails carrying a weighty backpack all day?

Is one an enthusiast in the high country cult of minimal time challenging itineraries with impressive mileage and vertical climbing?

Does one see much value in visiting the most magnificent and inspiring places on routes any longer than the most ordinary and boring? Like nice for sure but no big deal?

Else how does one best enjoy their time in the backcountry on a trip? What experiences does one enjoy in the backcountry and how much?

Is one interested in any of the popular non hiking activities like terrain exploring, peak bagging, fishing, photography, nature and animal watching, campsite relaxing, etc. If so how does one balance such in their trip planning?
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

I think if we do follow through on this route we will take 7-10 days to do it.

The only issue issue is everyone trying to get time off work.
slade
Topix Acquainted

Post by slade »

manbartz

The Clark Range is awesome beautiful. Bring back some pics to share!

slade
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I have gone from June Lake (Silver Lake trailhead, really) to 1000 Island and it can be grueling if you are not acclimated. You start very low (7200). Not my favorite trailhead, but permits are a lot easier from here.

Donohue Pass last summer on August 1 had a few insignificant patches of snow on the NW side. This year is wetter, so far.

Mosquitoes last year went from insane to tolerable at 1000 Island by the last week of July. Expect them to continue later this year.

It is amazing how many people camp in Lyell canyon--legally and otherwise. There was a stretch where we found a tent every 100 yards or so for a couple of miles of "riverfront property,"

I agree with the many comments about slowing down and seeing the sights.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Also, if you had read and followed the rules for help with trip planning, there would have been no need for being defensive.

You asked, we answered per the information provided, or lack thereof.

No harm/no foul.

I would resist the urge to cram it all in a short period if possible - also hope that you and your companions are able to build some endurance before you go, so you don't find yourself turning around prematurely. Dayhiking hills with backpacks would help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Everyone has thier own pace. The trip done in August, in 7-10 days is not an unreasonable death march. I personally like to travel +10 miles each day when on the trail. I like seeing lots of county and I DO "smell the roses" - I can easily walk and see at the same time (a light pack allows this), take lots of photos, and spend several hours exploring once in camp. And I am an old lady! These young folks may well get into the off-trail "nook and cranny" exploration or fishing later in their lives - right now they want to see lots of country while on trails. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with seeing backpacking as a sporting challenge either. Do not assume they cannot smell the roses just because they like to travel far and fast.

The proposed first day is a tough one. I have done it before, earlier when I had to deal with snow. Just get an early start, go slowly up the initial switchbacks and keep on "truckin". Whenever I do a trip with a difficult first day, I go back and see what it would be like if I were to reverse the route. Sometimes the reverse route works better allowing a first day at lower altitiudes. You could also start at Glacier Point in Yosemite Valley rather than at Happy Isles to reduce first day elevation gain and heat issues.

By the way, I never interpreted the original poster's detailed explaination of his previous trips as "defensive". I thought he was being informative.
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The proposed first day is a tough one. I have done it before, earlier when I had to deal with snow. Just get an early start, go slowly up the initial switchbacks and keep on "truckin". Whenever I do a trip with a difficult first day, I go back and see what it would be like if I were to reverse the route. Sometimes the reverse route works better allowing a first day at lower altitiudes. You could also start at Glacier Point in Yosemite Valley rather than at Happy Isles to reduce first day elevation gain and heat issues.
Yeah that's a great point. I will talk to the others and see if starting at Glacier Point would be cool with them.

Sorry AlmostThere, did not mean to rub you the wrong way, or anybody else who is reading. Really just wanted to share my stories over the big, bad internet. Sorry about my first post and the information it lacked....

Ohh, and I am one to stop hiking every time I see something beautiful, and take a picture of it(I have thousands, and I would love to share them), whether it be every 10 feet or so. I never hike staring at my feet.

I picked this route looking at my Tom Harrison map, and considering this map is correct there wouldn't be any off trail trekking. The only trail I have concerns about is the trail connecting Vogelsang to Lyell Canyon. If anybody has any info or first hand experience about this trail please let me know. I added up all trail mileage and it came out to 69.2 miles from Silver Lake Trailhead to Happy Isles. So I figured a reasonable pace would be 10 miles a day. And maybe throw in an off day or 2 at Thousand Island Lake and somewhere else extra scenic(any ideas?).... I will be taking many pictures, just wondering if it's worth it to carry my moms dSLR.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Manbartz wrote "Really just wanted to share my stories over the big, bad internet."
Please do continue to share your experiences on the trail, that is what we are about
here on HST!

Manbartz wrote "The only trail I have concerns about is the trail connecting Vogelsang
to Lyell Canyon."
What are your concerns? This is a well traveled sections, and you'll probably run into
other backpackers going to either Ireland, Evelyn, or the Vogelsang area.

Manbartz wrote "I will be taking many pictures, just wondering if it's worth it to carry
my moms dSLR."
IMO if you plan to take pictures for the purpose of sharing on the web or maybe just
getting some post card size pictures printed, than stick with a good point and shoot.

Why not start or end at Agnew Meadows, using the High Trail (very scenic, and great wild
flowers) to get to 1000 Is Lake?
It is much better than the route to/from the Silver Lake area, I do not care much for Gem
or Waugh Lakes area (though Waugh is a little better) scenery wise.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The trail gains about 1,700 feet up out of Lyell Canyon. As interesting as Ireland Lake looks on the topo map, it is a windy exposed place to camp and off the main trail. If however you want to just go see Ireland Lake, you do not have to go all the way back to the trail. The little pass 0.6 miles to the NW is easy off trail travel and then you can drop down the drainage to ponds at 10,700 feet before dropping down to Townsley Lake. I personally think Vogalsang High Sierra Camp is annoying- best just to pass by it. I would try to camp at least a half mile away. Townsley Lake has nice camping, as does Vogalsang Lake. Fewer people use Townsley Lake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

While I agree with the Ireland Lk assessment and the quick pass over to Towsley, but Townsley doesn't really have great sites to camp at. They are mostly on the west end. Ok, there are some in other areas if you make it up as you go. Found a Nice place on the NE side behind a big rock.

I agree that Vogelsang is annoying. Every time I've been by that place, I aim for the off-season.