Sierra Knowledge Battery: fun with factoids: NEW ANSWERS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Knowledge Battery: fun with factoids

Post by sirlight »

gdurkee wrote:But you don't eat the sheep with the lemon.
Of course you do! Try a search for lemon rosemary roast leg of lamb and you will get plenty of recipes.

Just don't eat the sheep in the Sierra!

Will be interesting to see how this thread progresses.
tim
Topix Expert

Re: Sierra Knowledge Battery: fun with factoids

Post by tim »

Does the lemon juice smell put the sheep (and marmots?) off licking/gnawing your boots/backpack for the salt?
A friend of mine was bivving in Canada (Banff I think) a few years back and woke up to find himself being licked by an elk.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Re: Sierra Knowledge Battery: fun with factoids: NEW ANSWERS

Post by gdurkee »

All Hands:

Note that I edited the original post with the answers. Pretty fun, huh?

George
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Killer good stuff George….I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I knew about High Sierra heavy metal contamination (small concentrations but present nonetheless) but I figured it travelled no further than foothill locations. Most find it hard to believe heavy metal can become airborne. Surprises me mercury can be airborne from as far away as China….incredible!

Love the answer to 27a. Was anxious to read that one along with my favourite….lemons as a piss deodorant.

Was also perplexed about question 31.

Finally question 34. I guess a granite rock just isn’t a good enough substitute for an anvil. I heard that Norman Clyde finally got tired of carrying his anvil, and chucked it one day before reaching the top of Shepherd’s Pass…..LOL

Thanks again George,

Flip
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Very nice test. I failed :\ ,for the most part. As for 33, they put lemons in the water at most restaurants. Maybe still sheep pi$$?

But now that it's published, those that come behind you have a cheat sheet!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, George. That was a lot of fun !
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

George,

A few days after you posted the list of questions I encountered tracks going away from several trees and just stopping. This was light, fresh powder. I can't see how a grouse could take off without leaving marks on the snow with their wings. I thought maybe some little critters were getting snatched by a raptor. But would still expect marks from the wings.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Mike:

Actually,I did see a soft disturbance in the snow at the end of the tracks -- likely the wings touching. When I took wildlife Starker Leopold told us about that. I guess Sage Grouse do it -- often killing themselves in the process when they dive into an icy layer. Oooops. This was the only time I'd seen it. A Red Fir stand at Ostrander in Yosemite just after a snow storm. But they must jump enough with their feet to clear their wings from the surface before making much of a mark -- or none.

Flip:

I'd always wondered where the name Anvil Camp came from! He probably used it as a pillow... .

When they get those huge windstorms off Mongolia, you can see satellite photos showing the plume of dust (and, presumably, pollutants from China) stretching all the way across the Pacific.

Re: 27a: Several of us b/c types recommended closing the upper Kern to fires 30+ years ago. There's been a number of research projects on Foxtail tree rings around Wallace, Wright & Siberian Outpost. Neat stuff. If you go to Wallace Lake you'll notice a very clear band of dead trees/snags above the current living trees -- they stand as snags for hundreds of years after dying. The ones there are likely from the cold of the Little Ice Age (though cold may not have killed them, they just stopped reproducing during that period). Tree line lowered but may be going up again.

g.