Need advice for JMT this early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need advice for JMT this early July

Post by fishmonger »

Nepal wrote:
maverick wrote: I am also currently hunting for a lightweight but usable tripod and ballhead combo (my current Gitzo + Acra Swiss combo weigh over 7 lbs).
how's this for legs? Cheap, light, packs small, strong good enough for what you got in your bag. I just bought that to support my Automate panorama bot next time out (still need to get the leveling plate)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVTUC4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For ballhead, I may go with the smallest RSS head. Still trying to sort out how to best combined locking plates and the panorama bot without having 4 pounds of aluminum rails and clamps in the bag.
Nepal
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Nepal »

maverick wrote:You might consider just taking your 24-120 lens, if you need to get wider or pano
shots, than get a RRS panning clamp, and nodal slide, both have spirit levels so things
will be leveled.
I have the omni-multi pkg for my 1ds Mark 3, and it works like a charm.
Many times folks take way to much photo gear on there trips, the easiest way to figure
out what you really need is to look at your photo's and see what focal length your
shooting the majority of your shots at, and then buy the best zoom to cover those focal
lengths.
This works most of the time, unless there are particular subjects that require a larger
variety of lenses to be carried, which I do a lot of times, but for a longer trip 24-120
should suffice for most subjects, though some times you may have to get creative.
Get a good tripod, do not skimp, it is on of the most important pieces of equipment
for a landscape photographer!
Thanks for the advice, Maverick. Wide angle, unfortunately, is a necessary evil for the type of photography I normally do. Often I like to find some interesting foreground and use hyperfocus to get its finest details. I also like night astrophotography using landscape as foreground which wide angle is a must. To bad I can't carry my 14-24/f2.8 with me (too heavy).

You are absolutely right about people tend to carry more gears than they really need! However, to me this trip is photo first after all and if I have to cut something, I would rather start with my food. :) LOL.
Nepal
Topix Novice

Post by Nepal »

fishmonger wrote: how's this for legs? Cheap, light, packs small, strong good enough for what you got in your bag. I just bought that to support my Automate panorama bot next time out (still need to get the leveling plate)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVTUC4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For ballhead, I may go with the smallest RSS head. Still trying to sort out how to best combined locking plates and the panorama bot without having 4 pounds of aluminum rails and clamps in the bag.
As a matter of fact I actually looked into this one. Also this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ripod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

however these legs just support 6 lbs which is very close to the the weight of my camera body + one lenses with L-plate and quick level release clamps. With my type of photography which often involves exposure time over several minutes to an hour or also, I doubt these legs can hold. But I will certainly do more research on this.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You could use the pano gear for creating wide angle shots, and just use Helicon Focus
or PS CS5 to get all the depth of field you want, it really does work well, but this
won't help in your night photography.
Yeah, I considered buying the 14-24, but the weight, the adaptor, and the issues with
filters kind of squashed that idea.
Hopefully Canon will finally decide to introduce a great ultra wide angle that can
match the 14-24, but I won't hold my breath.
I hear ya about carrying all the equipment because it is an addictive passion, and a
very expensive one too.
When I carry my 17-40, 24-105, 100-400 lenses, and all the rest of my accessories
the weight is quite a bit, but I like you, will rather cut weight in other areas to
accommodate.
Oh, I use the Gitzo Series 2 Carbon 6X Leveling Tripod-3 Section with G-Lock, and it
handles up to 26 lbs.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Nepal
Topix Novice

Post by Nepal »

maverick wrote: Oh, I use the Gitzo Series 2 Carbon 6X Leveling Tripod-3 Section with G-Lock, and it
handles up to 26 lbs.
I also have a GT2540 with G-lock, which is also over 4 lbs I believe. I am kinda reluctant to haul it around.....

So what's the weight of your pack with photo gears when you backpacking?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Base weight, pack+sleeping bag+tent=6.5lbs, about 5lbs if I'm using my pancho/tarp
combo, which I do not like using that much any more because of the lack of protection
for my gear.
Food+canister is the bulkiest, heaviest item, which of coarse varies with each trip.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Nepal wrote:... these legs just support 6 lbs which is very close to the the weight of my camera body + one lenses with L-plate and quick level release clamps. With my type of photography which often involves exposure time over several minutes to an hour or also, I doubt these legs can hold. But I will certainly do more research on this.

I only have to support a D90, so I went for the lightest legs. Amazon is selling other sizes as well, almsot the same price. Saw some Benro legs for 40 pound loads for $219 - $470 off list blowout price

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-C-358M8-BEN ... 592&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but now we're at 4.4 pounds

In between there are these legs - $120, so you won't worry about scratching them up in the talus:

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-C-158M8-BEN ... 687&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

full specs here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... ripod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

17.6 pound load, weight 2.6 pounds. I went with the lighter one because I only have a D90 and cheap plastic glass when I hike, so weight does overall remain in check.

Benro isn't Gitzo, but when I strap these things to my pack I don't want top worry about a $700 set of legs getting beat up the next time I put the pack down. Can't beat the Amazon prices right now, and Benro is definitely a notch above the no-name Chinese stuff. Been looking for a used Gitzo on ebay for months, and when I saw these prices on Amazon, I changed my mind.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Nepal wrote:
So what's the weight of your pack with photo gears when you backpacking?
I think if I went out this July, I'd be hauling about 50 pounds including food. Photo gear about 8 pounds total. But I doubt I am going this summer. I was just out there in March and plan another trip in October and with gas prices going ballistic, I may need to skip the summer trip (4000 mile round trip for me each time). However, I'd LOVE to go in July - my favorite time of year usually is late June, but this year we'll get that in July. Maybe my kids will talk me into it again.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I agree with previous posts and say wait for Aug. My equipement is all Mtn Hardware, and VERY light. Its the food, stove, and fuel that will make your pack heavy. I've been trying to come up with food that doesn't need to be cooked, because I don't want to carry a stove or fuel. I know it can be done. I don't drink coffee on the trail (though I do desire it). Last spring and summer, I didn't bring a stove or fuel. It was my first time, and I got through the 7 weeks. It was fine; not the best, but fine.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

East Side Hiker wrote: I've been trying to come up with food that doesn't need to be cooked, because I don't want to carry a stove or fuel. I know it can be done.
Brent Maune ate this on his JMT record run (this is all he ate from Whitney Portal to Happy Isles)

~ 8k calories of Hammer raspberry gel, with 2 5.5 serving squeeze bottles
~ 10k calories of clif bars (21 chocolate brownie, 21 chocolate chip cookie)
~ 1.5k calories of Recoverite (in a nearly full powerade bottle)
~ 400 calories of sausage (for efficient tasty salt ingestion)
~ 22 ibuprofen,
~ full bottle (120 capsules) of endurolytes,
~ 8 S!caps,
~ 8 caffeine pills (used 2),
~ 6 vitamins,
~ 2 emergen-C packets (didn’t use)

I don't mind hauling the stove - it's half the fun up there to eat semi-civilized meals. Nothing like a hot soup when it's cold on Muir Pass: